MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WWII US dog tags

Article about: Hello everyone: Dog tag I have these in my collection: Lowell l. Yeryar: (poor print,slightly magnetic) Robert F. Kuck: (Officer,slightly magnetic) Arthur J. Gilbert: (brass material) Romeo

Default WWII US dog tags

Hello everyone:
    Dog tag I have these in my collection:

Lowell l. Yeryar: (poor print,slightly magnetic)

Robert F. Kuck: (Officer,slightly magnetic)

Arthur J. Gilbert: (brass material)

Romeo Chagnon: (slightly magnetic)

All the names I have found on the website NARA - AAD - Main Page, but have not found the name of Robert F Kuck, I think on this website are not the names of Officers.....
    How can you differentiate between a true or false Dog Tag? There are many reproductions on the market....
    If there is any problem with these Dog Tag, please let me know
    Thanks and regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII  US dog tags   WWII  US dog tags  

WWII  US dog tags   WWII  US dog tags  

Last edited by javimetal; 09-24-2010 at 01:21 AM.

Default re: WWII US dog tags

I don't particularly collect dog tags, but I think a good way to find if they are orig is to check the national archive and find out what these guys did.

Default Re: WWII US dog tags

I don't collect them either, I have my Father's who is a WW2 vet and they are aluminum. Early tags in 1941 added life saving info such as (T+Date or T43) for date of tetnous shot and blood type and were made of a combination of copper and nickel. They also had the name and address of the next of kin contact info.

As the war progressed, mid-war 1943, switched to stainless steel and late 1943 dropped the next of kin info. Aluminum are typically encountered very late war.

BTW, a fire at the St. Louis Records Center in the 70s destroyed a large ammount of WW2 reocords. It can complicate records research efforts.

Quote by Franz1944 View Post
    I don't particularly collect dog tags, but I think a good way to find if they are orig is to check the national archive and find out what these guys did.

Default Re: WWII US dog tags

They are all real.Will look if I can find any info.
    They were not kill during the war,I did not know if you knew.

Staff Sergeant Lowell L. Yeryar served with Company C, 274th Infantry Regiment, 70th Infantry Division in the ETO.

I am slowly putting together a collection of dog tags to represent every division, and I still need a 70th ID tag, so if you still kick around this forum, let me know if you would sell it.

Info from find a grave,

Death: Feb. 16, 2011
    Sheboygan Falls
    Sheboygan County
    Wisconsin, USA

Robert F. Kuck, age 92, formerly of Sheboygan, died Wednesday evening, February 16, 2011 at Pine Haven Christian Home in Sheboygan Falls.

Bob was born June 19, 1918 in Sheboygan to Fred J. and Ida (Winkler) Kuck.
    He was a graduate of Sheboygan Central High School.
    Following graduation, he enlisted in the US Air Force, serving his country, both active duty and reserve duty, for thirty years, attaining the rank of Major.
    On July 31, 1940 Bob and Harriet Zellmer were united in marriage. After seventy years of marriage, Harriet preceded him in death last week, February 8, 2011.
    Bob was a private pilot and member of the Civil Air Patrol.
    Many will remember Bob at Fessler Kuck Furniture Co. a business he owned and operated for many years in downtown Sheboygan, until his retirement.
    Survivors include his son, John (Diane) Kuck; and his grandson, Jonathan Kuck, all of Summerville, South Carolina;
    In honoring his wishes, there will be no services. Interment of Bob and Harriet will take place in the spring at Wildwood Cemetery.