Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Erkennungsmarken Fragment Markings

Article about: Hello all, I know less than nothing about WW2 German identity discs so have come for help. Could someone please advise what the partial markings on these disc fragments might pertain to? Als

Default Erkennungsmarken Fragment Markings

Hello all,

I know less than nothing about WW2 German identity discs so have come for help.

Could someone please advise what the partial markings on these disc fragments might pertain to? Also - because I am now sceptical about all things WW2 German - could I please have some opinions on whether they're authentic. I concede that it would seem daft to fake a tag and then wreck it but I am cynical in my old age.

Best wishes and Happy VE Day.

Simon

Erkennungsmarken Fragment MarkingsErkennungsmarken Fragment Markings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erkennungsmarken Fragment Markings
    P
    Many

The alu one is the remnant from an Ersatz Abteilung 18, the zinc fragment from the Stab, staff of the III Bataillon. Not really enough to give full ID but they are original. I've got many such bits from surrender sites.

Many thanks.

I was no overly sceptical about their authenticity but I always forum post everything WW2 German to check. I have a quite a few WW1 German EK and pieces. I do appreciate the info.

Best,

Simon

If you have any more Erkennungsmarken whether WW1 or WW2 then please share them, we are always pleased to see them.

If course, I can post some of the other discs I have, although all bar one are Imperial German.

Turning back to the fragments, is the font on the second, darker tag not one to be sceptical of? I note that it seems to be used on a lot of fakes?

I really am a novice in the WW2 field so greatly appreciated your advice.

Simon

No both pieces are fine. The font is ok on the zinc part.

Hi Black Cat,

Thanks again for your help. You might call me a little paranoid...

I have attached some images of my various Imperial tags and tag fragments. The last one is a favourite: it's for a Hussar from Konigsberg who fought in Latvia. I believe it to be the M1915 type of tag rather than the M1916 type.

Thanks for posting your ekm collection!

I can't read the ones under the glass frame but from the others;

Otto Hofman born on 12 June 1886 in Zöschern, Sachsen and serving in the 10th Kompanie of Infanterie Regiment 114 was listed as missing on the list for 25th February 1919. These lists were still exacting their sorrow even after the armistice.

Johann Sowinski from Klammer, Culm was listed as having received light wounds on 10th January 1918. There is no other record on either Volksbund nor casualty lists so I'm assuming he got home.

Otto Schellong from Königsburg was serving in Ulanen Regiment 8 when lightly wounded on 6th March 1915, no other details.

That information is brilliant! Thank you.

The Hofman tag is one which I bought here in the UK. The string shown on the M1914 originally came with this tag. I knew the basic details of the tag but I did not know the owner's fate. It may have been taken on the battlefield as a souvenir.

I had identified Sowinski as the owner of the tag, but I did not have the full name of Otto Schellong. I understand the marking on the tag to be Ersatz Eskadron Husaren. Is there a difference between a hussar and an Uhlan in Imperial Army terms?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast