Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Estn Ersatz Sicherungs Gruppe Narva EKM

Article about: Good evening folks, This has been posted before by another forum member, but its now being proudly displayed in yours truly's collection, and its definitely worth a new post, me thinks. A ra

Default Estn Ersatz Sicherungs Gruppe Narva EKM

Good evening folks,

This has been posted before by another forum member, but its now being proudly displayed in yours truly's collection, and its definitely worth a new post, me thinks. A rare one as only 4000 men served in total across all the Estonian security units.

This is a half EKM to a soldier in the replacement battalion for the Estonian Security Groups, the "Estnische Ersatz Sicherungs Gruppe Narva". This unit was formed in Feb '42 for the purpose mentioned previously, and would also receive troops returning from wounds/leave. It's staff and ambulance unit was situated in the Hermannsburg Fortress in Narva. The unit was later merged into the Ost Ers Btl Estn Narva when the security groups were replaced by such units. This tag was found at the Klooga Barracks outside Tallinn, the barracks of the Estonian SS and also a KZ Camp. It would have been tossed when the men of his unit were sent there to be transferred into the 20th SS.

The security units/Ost Btl's would have been rear area units, defending railways, key behind-the-line locations from partisans, guarding PoW camps etc etc in the Armee Gruppe Nord sector, but this later changed when the 2nd Shock Army pushed out of the Oranienbaum pocket and the fighting moved into Estonia in early '44.

Whoever this tag belonged to would've seen heavy action during the Narwa battles in 1944, regardless of his role within the unit, as a result of the sheer ferocity of the fighting, with every man entering the fray.

Kindest regards
    Harvey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estn Ersatz Sicherungs Gruppe Narva EKM  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Estn Ersatz Sicherungs Gruppe Narva EKM
    P
    Many

?

Harvey that is an excellent tag you seem to know a bit about these units, I have these three tags that I understand are part of the Estonian Security Units you reference in your post is that correct?

The top tag has similar stamping on the reverse to yours would this be the result of a unit change? thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Estn Ersatz Sicherungs Gruppe Narva EKM   Estn Ersatz Sicherungs Gruppe Narva EKM  

Lucky fellow, a nice one to own and know where it was found.

Hi Eike,

Thank you for the kind comments. It looks like all yours are from the Security Units yes, and the one in the second picture will be from the same unit as the one I own. As I said in the OP, only 4000 men in total for all the units, so to see another one from the Narva Replacement unit is really rare, a great EKM to have! All I know on the units is what I’ve been told by Paul, who sold it me, he may well be the man to ask if he sees this thread.

Thank you BlackCat, really appreciate it mate. Certainly very pleased with it, I’m sure it won’t be the last one I buy either, usually how it ends up in this hobby

It can be a tad addictive, this hobby.

?

The image in the second picture is the reverse of the tag on the far left of the first picture.

?

Quote by Eike41 View Post
    Harvey that is an excellent tag you seem to know a bit about these units, I have these three tags that I understand are part of the Estonian Security Units you reference in your post is that correct?

The top tag has similar stamping on the reverse to yours would this be the result of a unit change? thanks!
    These tags look like they are also from Klooga . Notice the difference in spelling , Narva in Estonian , Narwa in German !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings