Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323 (218 infanterie-division)

Article about: I'd like to share this recently bought ID disc from the Courland (Kurland) front. I've had some good feedback from moderators and experienced users on my collection and am looking for any fe

But the erkennungsmarken 12 Kompanie mine and that Wiegand have the same markennummer 276, and then are both false.
    Probably they come from the same seller on Ebay, which for me is called "dima33314".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)
    P
    Many

?

I thought that what was you were saying before Gianni , so the one posted by Wiegand and the one posted by you are actually two discs both with the same stamping and number 276,
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Additional discs from dig below. The stammrollen and regiment number indicates use of same convention.

There is a variation in the use of 9.

Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)

Gianni, in the interest of accuracy how about posting a picture of your tag. The sample I posted is not 'false'.

Regards,

?

So it is my understanding that many erkennungsmarken when replaced in the field were all the same stamp set. So this would be the case when disks were re-issued for whatever reason. Unfortunately most fakers only have one stamp set so the numbers are the same also. Sometimes the unit had a set of pre-made blanks for this purpose and then the font would often be different. I also have seen information that indicates some disks were stamped in large quantities for units by local peasants or Hiwis. These would have same stamp sets as well and generally looked more crude in some cases.

The different companies would have their own stamp sets in many cases but that is not a rule. It seems any organization up to a division sometimes had its own record for the subordinate units and its own division level stamp set (s).

All that said the first tag posted and the one posted by Gianni are not pictures of the same tag. They are the same roll number and unit, but not the same tag look at the "276" near the single hole on both. They are different tags and probably both fake.

double post

?

There are 2 disks with roll number 276 from the 12th company Infantry Regiment 323 in this thread. Not 2 pictures of the same disk. For ease of identification I have placed the single hole half of both disks in one image.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)  

Eike, w

?

Post #4 and the OP are 2 separate disks

How can this be. Two discs purported to be legit, based on the remote and uncommon stampings with the same soldier identifier?

Any postulations?

Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)Fine Erkennungsmarke I.R.323   (218 infanterie-division)
    Last edited by Wiegand; 12-09-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast