Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ID - Erkennungsmarken

Article about: Hello, My great-grandfather fought with the 26th Infantry "Yankee Division", 101st Infantry Regiment in WW2. He always had this ID disc after the war. I'm curious to ID this disc/

Default ID - Erkennungsmarken

Hello,

My great-grandfather fought with the 26th Infantry "Yankee Division", 101st Infantry Regiment in WW2. He always had this ID disc after the war. I'm curious to ID this disc/ check for authenticity. I've noticed that this tag is very different from typical German plates. Any help to prove its ID and authenticity is greatly appreciated.

ID -  Erkennungsmarken

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ID -  Erkennungsmarken
    P
    Many

If he carried it with him after he left and during, chances are, there's no questioning it's real. It also looks like the tag is unbroken so that's why it may look different to you. If a German soldier died, no matter what he was. (SS, Heer, Luftwaffe, etc.), the tag is the same. Upon his death, a comrade would take his ID tag and snap one end off. Both parts would contain the same information. One side would stay with the body, and other side would be given to his CO so he can be listed as KIA. This tag is unbroken, so that means it is quite likely he is listed as MIA and his family has no idea about his fate. If your great grandfather is still alive, ask him where he got it. His family may finally learn of how their brother, son, kid or father have died or what happened to them. I cannot ID the man, however, as that is out of my expertise. Perhaps someone else here can help you with that.

My great-grandfather passed away some time ago, I'm unaware of how he acquired it.

I'm hoping someone can help me ID it for the very purpose of contacting next of kin!

This appears to be a WW1 era dogtag. WW2 versions would have abbreviations, and contain no name. You definitely have a good chance of finding this mans family since his name is stamped on the tag.

I hope the EKM experts can help you out soon

Best regards- Jarret

That would be very interesting if it is, in fact, WW1 era.

My current theories on the origins of this disc are:

1-Fake (due to the difference in detail and stamping)
    2-German (ww1 with your info)
    3-Non-German ID disc.

It's definitely German and from WWI.

I cannot comment on authenticity, though.

This is just my opinion, but I believe this tag checks out. Looks like an authentic WW1 era example to me.

I must say that I am very interested on how your great grandfather found it during WW2. Possibly taken from a man that served in both world wars, and continued to carry his WW1 tag for good luck.

Best regards- Jarret

This item looks original, Obergfr Hans Stix is listed as being severely wounded and later missing in action. This information came from the casualty list compiled first in November 1918 then updated a year later. He was in 9 Bayerische Infanterie Regiment. He was born on 30 December 1898. I have yet to go to VDK site to see if he has a resting place listed now.

Do you have a link to where you found that information at?

Suchergebnisse Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg

Go to the link above and type in Stix Hans in the nachname and vorname.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast