Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question on Erkennubgsmarken

Article about: A friend of mine brought this erkennungsmarken back from a Stalingrad area dig. I believe it may be from 4th battery Artilleriregiment 60 ? What division was this artillery regt. attached to

Default Question on Erkennubgsmarken

A friend of mine brought this erkennungsmarken back from a Stalingrad area dig. I believe it may be from 4th battery Artilleriregiment 60 ?
    What division was this artillery regt. attached to ? i can't seem to find anything in my Order of Battle book on WWII German Army.
    Thanks,
    Bob32268Question on ErkennubgsmarkenQuestion on Erkennubgsmarken

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question on Erkennubgsmarken
    P
    Many

?

Here is a link to the unit information from Artillerie Regiment 60. The 4. Batterie was part of the II. Abteilung of this Regiment.

Artillerie-Regiment 60 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Regards, Rik

As far as I know this unit did not fight in Stalingrad but at the time was part of the German 17th Armee and was engaged further South in the Caucasus and then moved into the Kuban bridgehead where it was finally destroyed in mid 1944. It's possible I guess that the owner was POW or died later but I do not think this was found in Stalingrad. It is however completely original.

A quick trawl through MIA files shows that most of those still listed as missing were last known of in Sevastopol in April/May 1944.

Not your owner, but just one representative face from those who never came home.
    Question on Erkennubgsmarken
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 04-01-2021 at 12:53 PM. Reason: additions

Thank you Rik for this information. Greatly appreciated !
    Tks,
    Bob32268

Thank you for the information on this unit. I wonder if it is possible to find out the name of the owner of this dog-tag?
    I guess the German Army kept meticulous records of their members but I would have no idea where t look to find out
    the owner. Which current organization keeps the historic files from WWII units ? It's much simpler here in the U.S., if you
    find a dog-tag it has the owners name and service number on it though not his unit.
    Thanks again,
    Bob32268

Hello Bob32268,

Personal records of German casualties are now held by the Bundesarchiv. You can enquire from their website but read the details here first:

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/EN/Conte...ublicationFile

As a non close relative it is not likely that you will be able to obtain any details about the owner of this ekm.

Thanks for the information on this post. As to the identity of the original owner of the Erkennugsmarken, does the Bundesarchiv have the Unit lists as to the "code" necessary to ascertain the ownership, such as the identification number on it ? Even if you had a close relative missing you would not know what his Erkennugsmarken "code number" was so even if you actually had his Erkennugsmarken you wouldn't know it was his. For example, on my pictured example, I think the number "29" would be the soldiers identification number in this unit (4th Batterie, AR 60)? Is this the correct way they were marked ? If so does Bundesarchiv have the listings of this unit and who number "29"'s name actually was ? That is what I would like to know. I can see where Bundesarchiv would not be able to process all inquiries about killed and missing soldiers even if you had their name and address. They'd be swamped with requests from militaria collectors like us. Again, thanks for the information on this interesting subject.
    Bob32268

The Bundesarchiv have records of those who served though some were lost/destroyed at the wars end. Close relatives may have other documents to assist the researchers such as Wehrpass or Soldbuch as well as feldpost items that can identify the unit or the individual.

The number 29 on your ekm is simply the number he was given on his Batteries roster, it isn't a secret code. The details on this ekm can probably be searched but as already said it is unlikely that any details would be released to you.

Hi, nice to hear from you again on this subject. Since the no. 29 on my ekm is the soldiers roster number with 4th Batterie, AR 60, is this information available anywhere or is the Bundesarchiv the only organization that has the roster numbers of Wehrmacht units ? For the Bundesarchiv, it's not like you're asking for any type of investigatory process that would take a lot of time and effort for an individual soldier, just a name from a roster number list would be what I'd like to know. Thanks again for your knowledge on this subject.
    Bob32268

The Bundesarchiv is the only option for these. The soldier may still have living relatives so this is why the data is not open source.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast