Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stalingrad Pionier EKM

Article about: Here is an early dog tag that I got in a trade with Luftwaffe 1941. It's an unassuming tag, clean aluminum, weak stamping, badly damaged (I'm not sure by what, the metal is very strong, I fi

Default Stalingrad Pionier EKM

Stalingrad Pionier EKMStalingrad Pionier EKM

Here is an early dog tag that I got in a trade with Luftwaffe 1941. It's an unassuming tag, clean aluminum, weak stamping, badly damaged (I'm not sure by what, the metal is very strong, I find it hard to believe that it rotted) and in half. However, this tag has a story.

Jarrett informed me that this tag was dug up around Stalingrad, and that's all he knew. I was just figuring out how to use Lexicon Der Wehrmacht at the time, and I was excited to try it out. I searched for the Pionier Battalione 23, and was a bit dissapointed. It was deployed in Italy, with the 26th Panzer Division, and never made it anywhere near Stalingrad. Bummer!

But I know what you're thinking, I made a goofball mistake. Pionier ERSATZ battalione.

I realized this later on, and found Pionier Ersatz Battalione 23. Here's what I found.

The battalion was set up on November 21, 1939 in Berlin-Spandau, in military district III. The 4th to 6th companies of Pioneer Replacement Battalion 3 were used for the formation. The battalion was subordinated to Division 153. On October 1, 1942, the battalion was divided into a Pioneer Replacement and Pioneer Training Battalion 23. From this day the battalions were subordinate to Division 463. On April 15, 1943, both battalions were assigned to Pioneer Replacement and Training Battalions. Battalion 23 united.

Replacement deliveries:

The replacement battalion was among other things. the task of providing replacement for the following battalions:

Engineer battalions: 23, 59, 71, 176, 193, 234, 293, 359

Tank Engineer Battalions: 59

Again, I was a bit confused, The battalion never made it to Stalingrad. But then I thought a little, and the little dim light bulb went off in my head.

"The replacement battalion was among other things. the task of providing replacement for the following battalions:

Engineer battalions: 23, 59, 71, 176, 193, 234, 293, 359"

Bingo! Now I have to research the individual battlions!

After a little digging, I found that the 176th Pionier Battalione was the only one to have made it to Stalingrad. Here's what I found on the 176th:

"The battalion was set up on August 26, 1939 in Berlin-Spandau, Wehrkreis III. This was done by the Engineer Battalion 23 of the 23rd Infantry Division. The battalion was subordinated to the 76th Infantry Division. On November 14, 1940, the staff and the 1st Company for the formation of the Engineer Battalion 333 of the 333rd Infantry Division were handed over. Both units were replaced again. In January 1943 the battalion in the Stalingrad pocket was destroyed."

So by some bit of magic, a soldier serving in the 23rd Ers. Btln. was suppled to the 176th Ers. Btln. and then found his way to Stalingrad. Here's what I could find about the 76th Infantry Division at Stalingrad.

Sept. 28th 1942

76th Infantry Division – The division defended in sector southwest of Samofalovka and north of Borodkin, against the 260th Rifle Division and 173rd Rifle Division. To the northwest was the 305th Infantry Division; to the east was the 60th Infantry Division (Motorized.) Enemy attacks were supported by heavy mortar and artillery fire, but were repelled. The division reported that of its nine infantry battalions, two were average and seven were weak in combat power; the division rated its combat engineer battalion as average. The division lost eight NCOs/enlisted killed in action; four officers and 30 NCOs/enlisted were wounded in action.

They continued to fight in the center of the battle for Stalingrad, until the division was annihilated in Jan. 1943.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad Pionier EKM
    P
    Many

?

Rusty,

That is a great tag, trust me the corner is rotted. I have seen many in similar condition.