Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What would his dogtag say?

Article about: I am going to order a custom German dog tag for this soldier, who was KIA in Konigsberg, 1945. I have his helmet, mess tin, and other items that actually belonged to him, and I wanted to mak

Default What would his dogtag say?

I am going to order a custom German dog tag for this soldier, who was KIA in Konigsberg, 1945. I have his helmet, mess tin, and other items that actually belonged to him, and I wanted to make a really nice display, showcasing all of the artifacts. This is probably the wrong area to post this question, but I think it could help beginners (like me) in the future. What would his dogtag read?

My guess would be:

9214 A
    Ers. Btl. 328

Is that correct? My original guess was:

9214 A
    5/Gren. 613 rgt.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What would his dogtag say?
    P
    Many

?

Based on this information I can see the soldier died at Oksbøl in Denmark and was buried in Esbjerg (Gravlund cemetery). Do you now where the link to Königsberg comes from? Because Königsberg and Oksbøl are not really close to each other.

Looking at what his erkennungsmarke would be I am not 100% sure. It could be 1 Ers. Btl. 328 (1. Kompanie Ersatz Bataillon 328) or I Ers. Btl. 328 (Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 328). The most logical thing for me would be 1. Kompanie Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 328. I guess he was then as a replacement send to Grenadier Regiment 613.

Regards, Rik

Quote by Dschop View Post
    Based on this information I can see the soldier died at Oksbøl in Denmark and was buried in Esbjerg (Gravlund cemetery). Do you now where the link to Königsberg comes from? Because Königsberg and Oksbøl are not really close to each other.

Looking at what his erkennungsmarke would be I am not 100% sure. It could be 1 Ers. Btl. 328 (1. Kompanie Ersatz Bataillon 328) or I Ers. Btl. 328 (Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 328). The most logical thing for me would be 1. Kompanie Infanterie Ersatz Bataillon 328. I guess he was then as a replacement send to Grenadier Regiment 613.

Regards, Rik
    I've been having a lot of problems with this particular soldier, as his information is always a bit... "off". His birth date varies by several days, and even in one case two years, but have nearly identical death dates. I looked at another card where it notified next of kin about his place of death, and it said Reichsautobahn Konigsberg. But later on, like two lines down, it said place of death Berlin. I believe "Oskobol" was either a misspelling, or a botched local location name, but either way, the whole card really doesn't make sense because Grenadier regiment 613 belonged to the 203rd Infantry division, and they fought at Konigsberg, nowhere near Denmark.

His ekm read 9214
    1 Ers. Btl. 328

Rollnummer 9214
    1st Kompanie Ersatz Bataillon 328.

I can't see his blutgruppe type on the card. Personally I would rather track down an original from the unit rather than making a copy. These casualty records are full of mistakes, name spelling, locations and units. Sometimes I check the date and location on several records to confirm units.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    His ekm read 9214
    1 Ers. Btl. 328

Rollnummer 9214
    1st Kompanie Ersatz Bataillon 328.

I can't see his blutgruppe type on the card. Personally I would rather track down an original from the unit rather than making a copy. These casualty records are full of mistakes, name spelling, locations and units. Sometimes I check the date and location on several records to confirm units.
    You mean find the original dogtag? Easier said than done I'm afraid.

Ain't historical records fun? I have one record (somewhere) that said my grandfather died several years before he was born!

Lol! No, not the actual ekm, but one from the same unit. The hunt for items is what makes the hobby fun.

?

I am not sure if the card is correct or not, but to me it does look like it. I did find Wilhelm on the Volksbund website. Have a look at the link:

Detailansicht

CSW
    ?

Here's one for 1. Kompanie, Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 328.

Quote by Nordlicht44 View Post
    Here's one for 1. Kompanie, Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 328.

Where the heck did you find that picture?!

CSW
    ?

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Where the heck did you find that picture?!
    On the site I linked click the "Here's one" part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast