Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German buckle with attached star

Article about: Can I get some feedback on the vintage of this star that is attached to a German buckle? I believe it is an original star, but suspect it’s actually a post war example. However, the differ

I like it, would gladly add to my collection.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German buckle with attached star
    P
    Many

A little late to the party, however the cockade on that belt is an Obr.53, authorised in 1953. The star is not original to the buckle.

I have seen discussions before stating that star cockades were not added to belt buckles, and I have yet to come across a period photo where this is done, however if someone can prove me wrong then I'd be glad to see!

To my knowledge that is a M39 star. Look how the sickle crosses the handle of the hammer. This is not on M53 stars.

That is not an Obr.39 star. The quality of the enamel and stamp used is completely different to a 39 34mm. 53s are very obvious, and this is very clearly a 53.

So is the hammer sickle a replacement? Because that one is clearly not an M53. Just trying to learn here.

No, the entire cockade is an Obr.53. Quality and construction is completely different to a 39, the shape is slightly incorrect and the internal rays are not correct for an Obr.39, the enamel is sub-par for pre-war, incorrect for wartime and is of a post-war quality seen only on post-war cockades. The distinct 'glow' around the Obr.53 hammer and sickle is present on this piece and the toning/aging on the brass-coated bimetal is distinctive of a post-war style due to changes in the manufacturing which occurred around 1945-46 as a result of the war.

I have attached an image from my (work in progress) book about cockades from the period. Observing the two pieces, they are very different.

German buckle with attached star

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2