Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying Wartime enlisted trousers

Article about: Hello all, Recently I've been after WWII Soviet enlisted trousers (hit me up if you have some you'd part with for cash or trade) Here's the biggest problem though - I am not sure how to iden

?

Default Identifying Wartime enlisted trousers

Hello all,
    Recently I've been after WWII Soviet enlisted trousers (hit me up if you have some you'd part with for cash or trade) Here's the biggest problem though - I am not sure how to identify them properly yet! I'm searching in the dark.

From my understanding there is the m35 and m44 (m44 had a pocket on the butt). I hear both were occasionally made without knee reinforcements to save material, the m44 and m35 looking models were made all the way after the war and look very much the same after the war (except the m44's had a change where an internal pocket on the inside of the butt pocket was added after the war at some time I hear?)

Now what are the tell tell signs of wartime verses post war? Are there certain pocket materials and colours more easily identified with wartime?
    I've heard something about the double belt loops, but even into the 50's I see double belt loops - So I'm lost there.

You guys have made me a damn near expert on tunics and I've found wartime tunics because of studying the forum, but I've seen very little on trousers here.

If anyone has pictures that would be great!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying Wartime enlisted trousers
    P
    Many

?

I'll share what I think I know. These are not firm rules.

Fly - typically 4 button in wartime and 5 after.
    Back Pocket - appeared mid war.. but sometimes absent post war!
    Concealed pocket - sometimes present, not always.
    Belt loops - double type wartime and after I think.
    Absence of loops - can have buttons inside for braces. Typically for Officers.
    Material - double diagonal most favoured but can be anything!
    Buttons - plain or dimpled. Can be plastic or steel stamped type. Ones with text and numbers can be a red flag.
    Knee reinforcement - don't read anything into them other than they tend to be for ORs vs Officers.
    Officers - piped, but not always. More likely to be privately tailored. Fancy lining vs grey can be a give away.
    Side straps - at the small of the back wartime (and also post war!) On the side usually post war.
    Stamps - your friend and the only way to be as close to possible as 'sure' if everything else falls into place.

Below are some pictures that I hope illustrate my points. The khaki and dark green wool ones are wartime. The green ones are for an Officer but worth studying. The blue ones are 1960s. Note side straps and more buttons. I hope I haven't left you more confused!

?

..and just to follow up. These trousers are post war - 1948 I think. They're in storage so I can't scrutinise the stamp. Note how the cut is identical to WW2. The give away here is the lining. Brown/green tends to be post war vs grey/blue. It's a minefield.

Kent K,

Excellent post. Thank you!

Gerry C.

From the High Plains of the Midwest U.S.A.

?

Here is the 1944 standard for ORs sharovari. Not that this is gospel! The document's name in Russian is ТУ №969. If you Google it, it you'll probably hit a gold mine of Soviet WW2 patterns.

?

Exclamation

Boycie,

I'm jealous! Those are the pants I've been searching for!

Here are the pants I have, they look artel made and most definitely wartime to me.

?

I’m interested in thoughts on these pants. Thick wool, without any pattern to it. Similar in color to US unlisted jackets, and reminds me of US enlisted overcoat material (I don’t have one handy or I’d compare). No stamps I can find. I was thinking Soviet made from US lend-lease materials? Happy to post close-up pics of any detail that helps! All thoughts appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying Wartime enlisted trousers   Identifying Wartime enlisted trousers  

?

A few more. One with a comparison of the pants to a US enlisted coat.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying Wartime enlisted trousers   Identifying Wartime enlisted trousers  

?

Additional details.