Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M43 Officer's Gymnasterka in lend lease wool

Article about: Hi Folks. I thought I'd share my latest find. It's a custom made M43 Gymnasterka in lend lease US (I think) wool. The pockets are lined in some very non regulation cloth too. In this part of

?

Default M43 Officer's Gymnasterka in lend lease wool

Hi Folks. I thought I'd share my latest find.

It's a custom made M43 Gymnasterka in lend lease US (I think) wool. The pockets are lined in some very non regulation cloth too. In this part of the world, it's possibly the least sought after wartime gym you can get.

Condition is poor, either from use or bad storage and it's covered in repairs as a result. Not sure if they are period or not.

At 35 euros, I couldn't let it pass as at the very least, it displays a guards badge and epaulettes very well. I particularly like the raspberry cuff piping.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M43 Officer's Gymnasterka in lend lease wool
    P
    Many

35 euros for a wartime gym? that would sure be a treat here in the U.S, People either sell postwar gyms as wartime or want you to spend over 500 for one.

?

Same situation in much of Europe to be honest.

My observation only, but in the former USSR, collectors favour Soviet cloth over lend lease, and factory made over individually tailored. Many collectors like their gyms to not be full of holes and repairs too!

I think the ambiguity of these examples put people off. This particular one has unmarked ferrous buttons and no internal pocket so i'm fairly happy with it.

One very unusual feature is that the front has a large triangular section at the waist were there clearly wasn't enough material to make it in one section (it's a large size). I've seen these triangles a lot but the garments are usually symmetrical.

Great deal to score a gym for this price. Well done!!!

It doesn't put me off personally, I would prefer a soviet cloth one a bit more but if you offered me a lend lease gym that was wartime i'd happily buy it for the right price. I've been looking for an m43 for ages but haven't found an example that was correct. If you had any sources i'd be happy to see them. The gym you showed is interesting as it's got the "Flair" with the manufacturing difference compared to others, I like it and it's a great piece!

Spenwil73, I have a lightly worn wartime lendlease gyms for sale in case you're interested. Just send a pm in case you wanna have more info.

Boycie,

Nice tunic. I know you mentioned it's in poor condition. Me. I like some honest wear and age to my items. Sure, I have great examples of various uniforms but they don't reflect what the average Frontovik wore. Been looking for nice war time example Gym for several years now. Haven't found one I'm comfortable with yet. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And me? I think your tunic is great.

Gerry C.

From the High Plains of the Midwest U.S.A.