Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet General's Uniform Question

Article about: Good morning. I was looking at two Soviet General Officer's uniforms but was wondering if someone could answer a question. When were the 4 sided general boards adopted for wear? Both of thes

Default Soviet General's Uniform Question

Good morning. I was looking at two Soviet General Officer's uniforms but was wondering if someone could answer a question. When were the 4 sided general boards adopted for wear? Both of these uniforms have 16 Banner buttons which would indicate pre 1957 tailoring. Are these boards appropriate for that early uniform?

Thanks,

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet General's Uniform Question   Soviet General's Uniform Question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet General's Uniform Question
    P
    Many

?

Mark, I don't have a reference to hand, but I think such epaulettes originally appeared for 1949 pattern Armoured and Air force Kitels.

The use of detachable ones continued concurrently for some years before they were phased out in favour of permanently fixed examples.

I'm not sure when the pattern was adopted for Generals. The piping looks raspberry to me suggesting a General of the non-combat services.

I think 16 Banner buttons were normal up to 1991; maybe post a picture of them and the tunic? From the pictures you post, it looks to be latter Soviet period (especially the one with pale fabric).

Thank you for the thoughts. The 16 Banner buttons were phased out in 1956 and replaced with 15 banner buttons. The gray uniform was introduced in 1954, and worn until 1980, so there is only a 2 year window that uniform could have had those buttons. Soviet regulations are tough to find in English so I wasn't sure if those boards were correct for that early period or not. Someone suggested the parade uniform was an early one from the material, but again I can't find anything on that one way or another. Yes, raspberry piping would have been correct for engineers, medical and judicial generals. Photos of the entire uniform are posted.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet General's Uniform Question   Soviet General's Uniform Question  

?

Interesting point on the buttons.

You learn something new every day!

You might find this page of interest:

Униформа инж.войск - uniform-19.html

It describes Engineer Generals' Uniforms. Both jackets appear side by side in one of the illustrations.

Thanks! That is an interesting website.