Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Use of the "French" tunics?

Article about: Hi all, I'd like to ask a few questions about the use of "French" (френч) 4-pocket tunics that were similar to the British Service Dress uniforms, wor

Default Use of the "French" tunics?

Hi all,

I'd like to ask a few questions about the use of "French" (френч) 4-pocket tunics that were similar to the British Service Dress uniforms, worn with both open and closed collar.

Who would have been authorised to wear them, and when were they part of the uniform regulations? I've only seen examples of pre-war officers wearing them.
    In what scenario would they be used (service or parade uniform?)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much information myself concerning this topic so any help would be greatly appreciated.

MSU Budyonny
    Armoured Troops officers

Thank you again.

Cheers,
    Gordon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Use of the "French" tunics?
    P
    Many

Hello!

I guess the photos you posted show the 3 December 1935 uniform regulation - closed collar for all officer and general corps except the armour and air force branch of service (those allowed the open collar).

Perhaps for a start you might want to check the book "Soviet Military Uniform and Insignia 1918-1958" published in 1993. Lots of useful information there!

Best regards
    Lancier

Ah, I see. Thank you very much, Lancier.

Hello,
    French tunics were used in Red army since 20's. There were different types with 2 or 4 external pockets . Before M35 regulation ,collar tabs were already used on French tunics.
    Before 1935 French tunic Stills exists. Tank officers and aviation officers used French tunics similar to those of the English or French army (gray for the armored troops and blue night for the aviation - Введён приказом Наркома Обороны СССР № 176 от 3 декабря 1935 года. )
    . but there is also a Russian variant with the m35 fastened collar , two external upper pockets and only pocket flaps down the tunic. French M35 with fastened collar are hard to find today. even on the pictures this type of tunic is rare. This a picture of a NKVD junior officer wearing a French M35 tunic, on sale on a Russian Auction website.

To my understanding they were prevalent even during the time of the tsar. To sum it up they are basically used as Officer parade/dress uniform, and before 1935 in the Soviet Union they were private purchases (for officers I mean, not sure about generals) and allowed to be worn in everyday service (not field), and after 1935 to the outbreak of the war they became issued Officer dress uniforms.

I might be wrong as I am still reading about this, but that is my understand