Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1 Weltkrieg Eisernes Kreuz 2 von 1870 - Original Datumverleihung?

Article about: Hello EK1 collection, who can explain or tell me whether the EK2 offered in 1870 was also awarded in the period or was the EK2 made in the period 1900-1930. What are the differences? many th

Good evening Chopperman........I would just like to ask you a question. Can you tell the difference or is there even a difference between the tape made in 1870 and the tape from 1914? Thanks for your time and your knowledge .................

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1 Weltkrieg Eisernes Kreuz 2 von 1870 - Original Datumverleihung?
    P
    Many

That's not an easy question for me to answer.

Like crosses, not all ribbons are the same. A lot of the very early
    ribons are made from a very fine silk and are tightly woven. The earliest
    ribbons were all black silk threads and the white stripes were done with some
    sort of white media applied to them (like paint but I'm not sure if that is the correct
    term) This is evident from ribbons found with areas of white flaking off. I have one
    that is nearly all black.

As time went on, ribbons used heavier thread which in some cases make them look
    like a looser weave. By the time we get to the Jubilee era ribbons, I think it's very hard
    or nearly impossible to tell a 1870 from a 1914.

This is just an observation on my part and not based on anything other than
    handling a half dozen of my own ribbons. It's not scientific and probably will not
    answer any questions you may have about the ribbon on your new 1870 Ek2.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Valuation isn't spoken about here,
    But what you paid could be mentioned for others out there who may wonder what they sell for????
    For future references!
    But that would be your call and totally understood if your preferred not to.

Beautiful cross by the way.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Good morning Chopperman, I have to contradict you, you explained this scientifically. )))) You wrote about the color flaking on the ribbons, I myself have 3 pieces that look almost completely black. I've been wondering for years where that came from, you explained it to me. Strangely enough, these tapes are also the longest, of this kind ..... I thank you anyway for your answers, without your help or your assessment, it would have been more difficult for me to buy this without hesitation. By the way, I paid € 500. For me personally it was a reasonable price considering the quality and age of this badge or comparing this price with others. Personally, I would have paid more for it, a must for myself, if you're an EK collector. I'll contract you Chopperman again when I'm on EK1 from 1870 ))))) Thank you for your knowledge

I am assuming that you mean this band in relation to "flaking paint" and that these should / should be the first bands that should belong to the 1870 cross, if I understand you correctly. If so, I now also know why I have kept this for over 20 years .......... You think you gave me a very nice remaining week with your explanation ))) Thank you .... ....................
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1 Weltkrieg Eisernes Kreuz 2 von 1870 - Original Datumverleihung?   1 Weltkrieg Eisernes Kreuz 2 von 1870 - Original Datumverleihung?  

You are welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help.

You are correct about the length of the ribbons. Here is my example----
    Attached Images Attached Images 1 Weltkrieg Eisernes Kreuz 2 von 1870 - Original Datumverleihung? 
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Default Original 187ß Band

I just wanted to briefly mention that the corresponding ribbon has a higher price ))

I will now look out )))))))
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1 Weltkrieg Eisernes Kreuz 2 von 1870 - Original Datumverleihung?  

"Painted" ribbons is something new I have learned about today. Thanks for the expalanation Greg. Without that, I would have dismissed such items as crudely done fakes and potentially passed on such items when we come out of lockdown.

Hello, yes that's right, for years I had no explanations for it ...............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2