Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

100th Anniversary IR 92 Braunschweig with totenkopf

Article about: Hello Everyone, I've recently purchased this badge on a platform i usually avoid buying on. But this one caught my eyes because of the look and was being sold by a seller that did not have a

Quote by Dos View Post
    On the Ehrenzeichen-Orden website that i linked earlier is the mentioning of the "Sachsenross" as being the horse figure on top of this badge.
    This can be linked back to White Horse of Hannover like you are pointing out. Used in the Coat of Arms and state / kingdom flags at the time. Dos
    Yep and the history is even more intertwined than that! It is also known as the Niedersachsenross (Lower Saxony Steed) or Westphalenpferde (Westphalian Horse), it was the emblem of the Twente region in the NL, the emblem of the Free State of Braunschweig, it appears in the British Royal Arms via the Royal House of Hanover (British Kings George I - IV, William IV and Queen Victoria all related to Kaisers, Tsars and the other "Crowned heads of Europe") which also included Braunschweig - Luneburg and Welf (Origin of Westphalia).

Then, just when you thought you understood it this prancing beast is also the emblem of the English county of Kent and is believed to have arrived with the Jutes (peers of the Angles and Saxons) who came from areas of North Frieseland and Schleswig.

Now we begin to understand the significance of history

All this from one small commemorative medal? Heraldry and symbology can tell so much if we just learn to read it

I look forward to reading what else you can discover.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Dos
    ?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Nice looking award, first time I've seen one.
    Thanks Gunny! Cheers.

Quote by Watchdog View Post

All this from one small commemorative medal? Heraldry and symbology can tell so much if we just learn to read it
    Aye, Mate. Sometimes we forget about this. Very cool!

Great stuff, Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.

Unfortunately i don't have any more. I'll make sure to post it here when i find something new on this badge and the history behind it!

Best Regards,

Dos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2