Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds

Article about: I recently acquired a set of solid bronze molds that appear to be for casting the 1914 German Iron Cross. I believe they were for casting the core of the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross. Accor

Default 1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds

I recently acquired a set of solid bronze molds that appear to be for casting the 1914 German Iron Cross. I believe they were for casting the core of the Grand Cross of the Iron Cross.

According to my research so far (and more to do) the cores for the Iron Crosses prior to 1939 were cast in a foundry (The Berlin Foundry, and Royal Iron Foundry for example). The 1939 medals and onward were stamped. The "silver" trim would have been added to the cores in a separate stage of the process.

The 2 mold halves would have been mated together and molten metal poured inside. When cooled the medals could be removed and finished. I believe the small holes on the backsides would aid in the cooling process.
    There are also some serial numbers on the edge of both molds. Serial # 10503.

Here's where I run into my first problem...the molds are made of solid bronze. Bronze has a lower melting point than iron (which was used for most of the cores). I'm not experienced in metallurgy but I believe the iron would melt the molds. However, other metals were used for the cores as well for various reasons. Maybe someone with more experience in this could add something useful.

Another idea is that the molds could have been used by one of the jewelers such as Godet. It's mentioned that Godet could have made their own cores.

One thing for certain is that these molds were used for the creation of an Iron Cross of some sort. Close examination of the plates shows wear consistent with foundry use. The bronze has also patinated nicely. The overall condition alone should date the plates to around 1914.

I have spent many hours researching these plates (and will continue) but I may have hit a wall. If anyone has information on how these were used, what cross they were used for, pictures of them being used and so on, please comment.

These molds could honestly be a genuine piece of history that deserves to be studied and preserved.

Measurements are below.

Dimensions for mold: Length 6 1/4 in. Height 4 7/8 in.
    Actual cross: Length 1 1/2 in. Height 1 1/2.
    Weight: 5.5 lbs each (12 lbs total).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds   1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds  

1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds   1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds  

1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds   1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds  

1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds  

These molds were used to make souvenir or novelty iron crosses
    and perhaps crosses used as theatrical props.

Most iron cross cores as you mentioned were a separate piece that was then
    sandwiched between to silver frames. These molds have the beaded edge of the
    cross as part of the cross and while one piece Eks do exist, they were die struck
    and not cast. Another give-away that these were not used for actual awards is the
    shape of the cross itself. I do not know of any awarded cross that have such curved
    arms as these.

They would have been made out of a soft alloy with a low melting temp. I have one from
    the 1970s that is lead based.

A quick ebay search found a cross that could have been made from these molds---
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Iron Cross Casting Molds  
    Last edited by Chopperman; 10-12-2022 at 11:20 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I agree with Greg, these are interesting but have no relation to production of actual GC's of the EK.