Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.

Article about: Hello Today I got my hands on a Kiwi bring back direct from the family of the soldier who had it stashed in his roof space. It was in a box of other imperial items he brought back including

Default 1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.

Hello
    Today I got my hands on a Kiwi bring back direct from the family of the soldier who had it stashed in his roof space.
    It was in a box of other imperial items he brought back including his dairy which mentioned were he acquired the items in the field.

I had some time ago already purchased most of the other items in the box which you may have seen me post pictures of with this bayonet being the last item.

Who doesn't need another Butchers in the cabinet aye?

It has the high ears and came with its scabbard, leather frog and a grubby looking knot, which wasn't on it at the time but I guessed it possibly originally was.

Apart from the scabbard showing some surface rust the rest seemed to be it nice condition.

My question is I only noticed on closer inspection that the crown date mark was different to my other two Butchers.

This one having a crown over L (Leopold?) rather than the W. (Wilhelm)

What is the significance of the marks shown in my photo's.

With having the Crown over L would this make it Barvarian? Or am I off track.

If anyone can help me with any info that would be fantastic.

Thank you for looking.

Cheers
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.   1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.  

1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.   1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.  

1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.   1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.  

Last edited by Coreynewzealand; 02-28-2021 at 11:06 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.
    P
    Many

Your assumption is spot on.
    A nice Bavarian marked bayo.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

As Gregs says. But it's actually cypher for Ludwig III, not Leopold. Ludwig was Bavarian monarch from 1913-18.

MAP
    ?

A nice looking example. Gotta get myself one of these.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks guys.
    And thank you Anderson for correcting me (Ludwig)
    Just noticed also I have a trilogy of dates. 14,15,16

Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.   1915 Crown over L Butcher bayonet markings.  

It survived very well living in the roof.

Yes maby due to our climate and a bit of luck.

The other items from the same box were not to bad either considering.
    Only item the family wouldn't sell was his dairy.

I saved a 1915 water bottle, Trench knife, 1914 drinking cup with letters scratched in , a Troddel and a few other bits. I have posted a photo of the items previously. A friend of mine bought a buckle, fuse, German wire cutters and few other bits including his service medal.

I will pop up an article about the kiwi that brought them back.

Cheers

He must have had big pockets.

Last edited by Coreynewzealand; 03-04-2021 at 10:09 AM.

?

Very nice pickups Corey!
    I like the 3 consecutive years of Butcher Blade!!

Semper Fi
    Phil