Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

1916 submarine cruse

Article about: Picked this up at auction tonight thought it was cool

?

Default 1916 submarine cruse

Picked this up at auction tonight thought it was cool
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1916 submarine cruse   1916 submarine cruse  

1916 submarine cruse   1916 submarine cruse  

1916 submarine cruse  

MAP
    ?

Very cool pickup.

Not sure if you know but there is a very large thread dedicated to this submarine. You might want to post this there as well or at least provide the link here in that thread.

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

MAP thanks for the link I feel it's going to take some time to read the whole thing

Nasty find there Gary!!

?

Glad you like it Rene

RH1941; what you have there is an interesting and historical piece of propaganda commemorating the first transatlantic crossing of the German cargo submarine, Deutschland. The first example of propaganda is the departure from Bremen on 24 June 1916. The boat actually departed from Helgoland on 23 June, but the Germans were not about to admit that their commercial submarine had started her crossing from the German naval fortress at Helgoland, because the Deutschland was billed as a civilian owned and operated cargo vessel that would not have been allowed to use the Helgoland harbor facilities. The truth was that the Kaiserliche Marine owned the boat and every crewman onboard, except for 1 Krupp engineer. And the Germans set the departure date on 24 June to be able to credit the boat with a 15-day crossing to Baltimore. The reason was to make her crossing speed 10 to 12 knots, which was very fast at that time, and supported the claims that the Deutschland was a "super Submarine." But adding 24 hours by revealing the actual departure date as 24 June, thus making it a 16-day crossing, would not fit the image of the boat they wanted. Dwight