Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?

Article about: Hello Forum, I´ve always wanted a nice Pickelhaube, and now this, rather rough, but in my opinion still presentable one has come up for a very good price, so i wanted your opinions on it, a

Arrived today, i took a few pictures, but will probably add better ones tomorrow.

Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?

In general, i am very pleased with it, the leather is as expected hard, but its not brittel, and still flexes a littel bit.
    The laquer seems mostly intact, except for a littel part where it came off, but in general for the fact that it sat abandoned in an attic quite well conditioned.

The Wappen is indeed damaged, and not only the middel crown, but also the crown of the lion on the left side is missing.

The liner seems heavily used, but the silk is still intact, i have been carefull looking inside, as i fear the stitching of the silk to the leather might get damaged.
    So far i have seen no stamps, and only a 28 written inside with a pencil.

Both cocades seem in pretty good condition, although i still debate weather to switch them to the right places, as the left side seems unstable, as the stiching there is heavily damaged.

In general, i consider leaving it as it is, because the helmet seems in a stable condition, and i would rather have a deformed but stabel, then a correctly formed but unstable helmet.
    I am trying to gather more information about the helmets Origins, as it comes from the Sellers Dad´s Attic, i asked him to give me any Information he has, and he says he will take a look at both an Old Rifle he has, which has seemingly an engraving - i have no idea how old, and if it my be connected, i hope so! - and a war Memorial in his Village, where the Helmet was found.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?
    P
    Many

I once restored a Zulu shield that was bent up at both ends like a banana. I left the cow hide shield to soak in a large trough full of warm water. Within a few hours it was soft and pliable and I was able to straighten it out and clamp it between two board while it dried out. Certain kinds of restoration work are not for the faint hearted, and you have to attempt the job with the understanding that it could go horribly wrong. If that were my helmet I could not bear to leave it in that state, and I would just have to try and restore it. But I fully understand your own reluctance to do so.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 08-28-2020 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling error

I´m gonna think about it. I will keep it dry and well taken care of, so it wont harden further. If i choose to restorate it at a later date, i still can do it.

The seller now send me pictures of the other items he has, i dont know if he wants to sell them, but they are certainly very interesting.

On the one Hand this picture of the ppl who participated in WW1 in his Village:
    Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?

Very much possible the Owner of the Haube is one of these.

And this Rifle, which looks like a for the Hunt modified percussion rifle to me, the Stamp looks very interesting and in my Opinion may be a Military stamp, but i dont know for what exactly, maybe a Unit?

Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?

It would be interesting to find out how many of those soldiers survived the war.

Cheers,
    Steve

13 of 62 Soldiers in active Service died, the top row is the fallen the "Victims in the War", the rows following survived, and the last rows where Soldiers who only did service in Garrisons.
    Last edited by Adravor; 08-28-2020 at 02:23 AM.

?

I think you got yourself a buy there. The helmet needs to be rehydrated to get its shape back. I use a head form, place the hemet on it . Then wet newspaper around (but not touching) the helmet and cover the whole thing with a plastic bag. Keep the paper wet and allow it to sit of a couple of months. It takes time to replace a 100 years of moisture. As to the missing crowns, this appears to be more common with Bavarian pieces. It seems that after the revolution of 1918 some of them removed the crowns. There were a few Bavarian units being controlled by the British in Russia during 1919.

I think you did well for $150 and I also would give a go at restoring it.

aicusv---
    interesting about the Bavarian crowns. I know that on many ww1 Bavarian
    medal bars, the iron cross is mounted backwards as a form of protest.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

One can save $125 on the price of the $150 Judith Millinery wooden hat stretcher, and you can find a good plastic adjustable hat form on eBay for $25 plus the shipping.

I have been lucky to find an occasional antique wooden hat stretcher in antique stores and junk shops for $20 or less from time to time. When I've used them, I don't keep them in the helmet for more than a few months and the helmet oval shape form usually goes back into proper form.

If you buy the helmet and want a professional to try to fix the sunken in top of the helmet, get in contact with Brian, the owner of the picklehaubes.com forum. He has great experience fixing up these sunken in Bavarian helmets, and has good results to show in his restoration section of his forum.

Best Regards,

Alan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2