Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Belt Support Hooks

Article about: An arcane topic to be sure but I am looking for authoritative information on the side hooks (Seitenhaken) used on pre-war, simplified and M15 tunics, as well as on cavalry items like the Uhl

?

Default Belt Support Hooks

An arcane topic to be sure but I am looking for authoritative information on the side hooks (Seitenhaken) used on pre-war, simplified and M15 tunics, as well as on cavalry items like the Uhlanka.

Different sources seem to indicate either that (1) only tombac side hooks were used, even when tunic buttons were silver/nickel/painted steel, while other sources indicate that (2) steel or some other white metal hooks did exist and were used with white metal buttons. Any commentary on this, particularly on pre-M1915 garments?

With the M15 painted steel buttons, were the side hooks also steel -- painted either the gray or brown to match the corresponding buttons (depending on regt. button colors of silver or brass respectively)?

Finally, a number of tunics and uhlankas I've seen do not apper to have side hooks, or have a slot in the waist to accommodate them but they are not attached. This is particulalry true with dunkelblau-period items but also Feldgrau. Was it common not to use hooks, either in the garment's design (pvt. purchase) or even if the garmet had internal provisions for attaching? How easy were these added to a garment with a provision to attach them -- I could see maybe removing them if this was not a hassle, when the belt was not worn in, for example, walking out dress so that they did not abrade the sleeve.

Any knowledageable commentary on this topic wpuld be much appreciated.

MAP
    ?

Just a bump to see if anyone can help
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

As far as I know, all hooks (regardless of branch and button colour), were initially made of Tombak.
    On 6th April 1915, the Prussian War Ministry ordered that all seitenhaken were to be made of Siemens-Martin steel plate.