Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!

Article about: by gooseandspoons are there laws against fakes? No, but there should be! Cheers, Ade.

Default Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!

My latest find, well not my find but my dads friend found it in a skip, what he was doing in a skip I dont know but he found this and showed it to me. I've never seen anything like it before and I'm almost certain its a fake of something due to it not being that well made by the looks of things or possible and most likely a total fantasy item. Does anyone have any ideas on this item?

Thanks

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!  

Default Re: Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!

Hi Danny, it is for an Imperial German Hussars busby.

Cheers, Ade.

Wow, never actually expected this to be a real item because looking at it first I thought it was Second World War, but I couldnt think what it was actually for and just assumed that it was fantasy because it does look a bit stupid in my opinion I've got it here if you need to better pics to possibly identify it as real or fake....

Thanks again Ade

Danny

Amazing what a google search turns up when you know what your looking for I can guess already that what I have is a fake the right eye looks like is hasnt actually been finished off correctly, I guess this is what one should actually look like?

Thanks

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!  

Hi Danny, that's the one.

I will leave it to the WW1 lads to determine if it is original or not.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Wow, you got some traction on your thread. Looks somewhat like mine, and I asked much the same in:

can you ID this skull? Hussar or Uhlan?

Its now my avitar. Got any pics of the rear?

Heres some more pics It would be great if it turns out that I'm wrong about this potentially being a fake....well it wouldnt be the first time I've been wrong about whether somethings is genuine or not

Thanks

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!   Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!  

Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!   Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!  

?

Sorry gentlemen, those skulls look indeed a bit like the ones for a busby of Leib Husaren Regt. Nr. 1 or Nr. 2, but I think they are reproductions.
    Here are some pics of an original specimen...

Adler
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!   Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?!  

?

Im not too sure about this one! I think what makes me wonder is the fact that firstly it was found in a skip and from the picture there appears to be damage to the left eye socket, why would someone fake this type has anyone ever seen a fake one before, i never have nor have i seen a film tv or series that shows this type, it could be a one off made by the owner of an original Husaren but it wouldnt have been cheap, it makes me wonder!!!

Hi Dave, I has seen fakes of these made and sold here in England since the 1970's. The were sold as fake along with British cap badges etc. I never really paid much attention to them at the time being outside of my interests. But I was hesitant to openly call the one shown first a fake, as I don't know enough about them to explain why it is a fake. I have no idea what an original looks like on the reverse etc.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast