Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Busby Skull, Fake or Real?

Article about: I acquired this on a replica busby I purchased from Germany. It was obviously not original to the hat, but it looks awesome. Anyone know if it is authentic or not? Grazie…

Default Busby Skull, Fake or Real?

I acquired this on a replica busby I purchased from Germany. It was obviously not original to the hat, but it looks awesome. Anyone know if it is authentic or not? Grazie…
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Busby Skull, Fake or Real?   Busby Skull, Fake or Real?  

CBH
    ?

These usually have cutout eyes and nose, also the rust looks contrived.
    Here is my original to compare.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Busby Skull, Fake or Real?   Busby Skull, Fake or Real?  

Quote by CBH View Post
    Here is my original to compare.
    Every time you post that thing, I drool all over my keyboard.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Actually, it isn’t rust. It’s some kind of foam coating that was added to the back. The eyes and nose appear to be black leather that are permanently attached via the foam. I would agree that rust would be very suspicious since nickel silver doesn’t contain any ferrous metal. This skull doesn’t seem to have a third prong, either.

CBH
    ?

I certainly wouldn't expect any kind of foam coating on a hundred year old item.
    There have been a few period examples posted here over the years, all had cutouts.
    Thanks Greg, it's probably my favourite item in my collection.
    It was brought home by a Canadian Nursing Sister and given to her brother John.
    I got it from him in the 80's, here's a photo of the second owner, Helen Kendall
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Busby Skull, Fake or Real?  

Very cool that you have the history behind it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

CBH
    ?

I'll update my original thread on this soon, as I managed to obtain his WWII pocket knife from his time in the British Navy. So I have items from both world wars relating to the same family, and her kit bag (the TK is pictured on it).

?

don't like the skull - just too much detail missing. Compare the back of the know original one to the one you're asking about. Also the solder on the pins looks too new.