Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone I.D. this Cross/medal.

Article about: Gents, just recieved this cross/medal with a lot from Hamburg, Germany, made of buntmetal, 55mm x 55mm, and guilded (most of which has worn away) it is as the photo shows a "Maltese Cro

Default Can anyone I.D. this Cross/medal.

Gents, just recieved this cross/medal with a lot from Hamburg, Germany, made of buntmetal, 55mm x 55mm, and guilded (most of which has worn away) it is as the photo shows a "Maltese Cross" design with four lions in each corner, and a circular relief in the centre with the words " furchtlos und true" and what seems to be a stylised "F" thereon, has a double suspension ring, but no ribbon. I show the rear, which is semi-hollow and full oF glue !....the vendor described it as a "Bavarian" medal (on account of the lions, no doubt !) I dont think it is..... the motto is the pre-1918 "Wurttemburg" motto, however the WW1 motto was spelt as in old German, with spelling of "treu" as "trew", so this piece will be post WW1 or even post WW2 !...So, I suspect it to be a "Wurttemburg" veterans medal, can anyone confirm or I.D./shed light on this medal ? it may even not not have any military connection. Thanks in advance & Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone I.D. this Cross/medal.   Can anyone I.D. this Cross/medal.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anyone I.D. this Cross/medal.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Can anyone I.D. this Cross/medal.

i dont know if this is true but i have seen some time ago one like this sold as stahlhelm member present medal with a kind of a neck ribbon

It looks kind of like the Wurttemberg 'Order Of The Crown', with 'Fearless And True'
    being the motto, but it is not made in the same way at all, and the correct
    detail is not there - no crown in the center...........!
    Regards,

Steve.

ww2fotos
    ?

I believe it is called a "Komtur Cross" it was a very high award, with many variations. Hitler's pilot Hans Baur was awarded one in WW 1. Look it up on Wikipedia.

I don't think that this particular example is 'genuine', judging
    from the backside................ Commemorative ?
    Regards,

Steve.

ww2fotos
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I don't think that this particular example is 'genuine', judging
    from the backside................ Commemorative ?
    I agree. The Komtur Cross was equivilent to TR's Rk. Both sides were Gorgeous, and Enameled. This is not even a repro of the Ordern.

Steve

I do not know what the F is doing in the centre because the king's name was Karl (K) then Wilhelm (W) and then Albrecht (A)

Jean

Perhaps it's a really, really bad repro. : )

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Perhaps it's a really, really bad repro. : )
    Thanks gents for your imput, I doubt it is a representation of the award "Komtur Cross" or even a bad copy, it is simply too simplistic (and bad !)...I was hoping that it had some thing to do with a veterans association, but then again it could primary school sports day medal !...whatever it is, it shall for the time being remain in a draw together with other oddities !
    Prost ! Steve.

ww2fotos
    ?

Quote by oradour View Post
    Thanks gents for your imput, I doubt it is a representation of the award "Komtur Cross" or even a bad copy, it is simply too simplistic (and bad !)...I was hoping that it had some thing to do with a veterans association, but then again it could primary school sports day medal !...whatever it is, it shall for the time being remain in a draw together with other oddities !
    Prost ! Steve.
    I am not so sure of this. The Komtur cross had a Maltese Cross with 4 Lions - 1 on each jct. But this certainly is no ACTUAL Komtur Cross. Maybe it's a "wannabee" Komtur Cross !