MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 119 of 121 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1202

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

Vey nice Luke... a good representation of a stern view of the boat!

Cheers,
    Steve

?

aren't these items just great?

Quite by chance, these items have come into my possession.

They are all from the same gentleman who attended the St Pauls athletic club in Baltimore to hear Kapitänleutnant Paul König speak on a unknown date.

It includes the clipping from the Baltimore Herald, the crew postcard and a signed large A4 photo of the Deutschland and her crew signed by Kapitänleutnant Paul König to a Mr. Robert James.

Im not versed in this subject at all so if these items Deutschland collectors please let me know, i can add more close ups !

Morris

News Paper

Signed photo.

Last edited by KMMorris; 04-07-2021 at 04:30 AM.

That's a great find, Morris! Thank you for posting!

I think we may have a bit of artistic license at play with this stick pin, Steve.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Very nice Luke... a good representation of a stern view of the boat! Cheers, Steve
    What is shown on the oval pin appears to definitely be a view from astern, the telescoping antennae are shown to be on the left side. I suppose we can't use the terms port and starboard here, as we having a clew as to which way that vessel is heading - astern or ahead. However, if the artist -- at the time -- knew more about the anatomy of U-DEUTSCHLAND he or she would have known that the approximately forty foot high antennae, and their in-deck receiving pockets, were mounted on the sub-sea freighter's starboard side.

As noted elsewhere in this thread, Baltimore's sculptor of note, Hans Schuler, designed the stick pin. We can blame (or thank) him for creating the artwork. ~~``30``~~

Actually, the boat is depicted coming bow-on. Her high antenna masts were on her starboard side. Because Hans Schuler has depicted the boat coming directly at a viewer, who is standing directly in front of her as she approaches, her high antenna masts appear on the viewer's left.

The page is from my book, The Baltimore Sabotage Cell: German Agents, American Traitors, and the and the U-Boat Deutschland During World War l. Naval Institute Press, 2015 Dwight

Red face

While the placement of the two antennae would be in the correct location facing forward, the main deck mounted periscope would not have been behind the conning tower, or turret, as some of the period would have called it.

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Actually, the boat is depicted coming bow-on. Her high antenna masts were on her starboard side. Because Hans Schuler has depicted the boat coming directly at a viewer, who is standing directly in front of her as she approaches, her high antenna masts appear on the viewer's left.

Dwight
    But hey, Dwight, artists may take a certain amount of license, especially since they haven't the photographic eye, that you, yourself, have accused me of possessing, not that very long ago. Our collective research, here at this thread, has, no doubt, given you much cause for updating your book's material, if truth be known.

Fair winds mate! Steady as she goes - EFCO!

Hallo everyone, I am back on track. And I want to show you what's new in my collection. I found this cigarette case 2020 on ebay. It is not in the best condition, but I saw it never before. Hope you like it.

All the best
    Claas

?

I think that you are so very lucky to have even found such a historical item, for sure!! KUDDOS to you!