Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 120 of 121 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 116 117 118 119 120 121 LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1202

Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model

Article about: Steve: Thanks for the follow-up on Mont Alto. It looks like Prusse was probably the engineer superintendent of construction on both the Deutschland and the Bremen. His official designation i

ROBERT NEWKIRK SMITHER of the Harvard Club, Boston, Mass.; (business) 35 Congress St.,
    Boston, Mass.

A FEW days after the United States entered the World War, Robert Smither offered his services to the US Navy Department.

Smither is said to have arranging for the purchase of the property at the State Pier in New London, Conn., recently owned by the Eastern Forwarding Company, ship husbandry firm tending the submarine DEUTSCHLAND.

Thereafter sent to England, Lieutenant Smither set to work on the proposed Mine Barrage across the North Sea. In this activity he served on the Staff of the Commander of the Mine Force of the Atlantic Fleet. Soon there after, I think Capt. Koenig was attached to mine sweeper duty too, albeit for Imperial German Navy.

Following the November 11th, 1918 Armistice, Lieut. R.N. Smither joined the Assistant Secretary of the Navy in Paris, thereby gaining passage on the confiscated former Norddeutscher Lloyd liner SS GEORGE WASHINGTON along with President Wilson as it made its return run to Amerika in 1919.

Robert Newkirk Smither hoping to become a most peaceful banker for the remainder of his life, met his end after a three-day illness in early May, 1945. At the time of his passing, Smither had become a vice president and general manager of the German-American-owned George Ehret Company, brewers, at 193 Melrose street, Brooklyn, NY. The Ehret Brewing Company was later purchased by Schlitz. Schlitz later died, along with its German-American successor, Stroh's, in 1999.

War Record: April 7, 1917-March 1, 1919, Lieutenant, U.S.N. R.F.; Staff of Commander, Mine Force. U. S. Atlantic Fleet. Served in laying of North Sea Mine Barrage. 1918. Recommended by cable by Commander Sims (U. S. Naval forces operating in European waters) for promotion to Lieutenant-Commander for meritorious services.

?

Just found this thread with the help of MAP picked this up at auction did post on it but thought I would share it here
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  

Just wanted to make sure that the members who follow this thread know that Dwight passed away on February 24.

Dwight Messimer R.I.P

The thread itself is a fitting memorial to a truly lovely man. His passion for the history of the U Deutschland is here for everyone to see. Started in December 2011, and still going strong.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

WOW! 10 yrs. and still going strong! any one know what will become of his great items that were acquired over the years? they belong in a museum. may he RIP. he will be sadly missed.

?

Such sad news

Dwight M. Messimer, author of: The Merchant U-Boat: Adventures of the DEUTSCHLAND, 1916-1918, died at his Northern California home, on Thursday, the 24th of February, 2022, of heart failure, according to his wife of 63 years. Dwight was 84 years old.

Raised in California, Dwight served as a soldier in the United States Army and became a fluent speaker of German. He was stationed in Berlin where, in 1959, he met and married his future wife, Renate, a German national.

As an invited speaker, Dwight attended the Great War Society, Johns Hopkins University’s Applied Physics Laboratory in Maryland, the Military Operations Research Society, the National Archives at Washington, DC, the Naval Postgraduate School and Naval War Collage and the Submarine Forces School.

Unable to attend the 2016 centennial observance and reception for the U-DEUTSCHLAND exhibit, held at the Maryland Historical Society in Baltimore, Maryland, Dwight, however, did send small tokens of his affection and appreciation to many of his fellow researcher in the form of replica hat badges, similar to those worn by U-DEUTSCHLAND’S crew of 1916.

In recent years, being an avid sailor, Dwight and Renate would spend much time sailing the waters of Northern California.

Survived by his wife Renate Irmgard Charlotte (80); a son, Dale Randall; two grandchildren and one great grandchild, Dwight had requested that there be no memorial or celebration of life services. His wish was to be cremated and his ashes spread upon the waters he and Renate had frequently sailed.

In lieu of flowers, Renate asks that cards of sympathy and remembrance be directed to her dwelling house at: 1909 Edinburgh, Roseville, Calif. 95661 or you may email her at: dwightmessimer@gmail.com

Toot: Concerning your question about Dwight Messimer's collection, according to Rogge16...

" Not sure what to say. I don't think I can even put into words what a great friend and person Dwight was... When his health really started to take a turn for the worse he sent me his U-Deutschland collection and a few other things..."

And what a collection it must have been - in the making for many years.

This little brass mini folding table slipped under my radar at work and was sold this afternoon for £50
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cargo Submarine U-Deutschland Artifacts and Model  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Good price and hard to find.
    Thanks for posting.
    Take care,

Luke