Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)

Article about: This compass belongs to my brother Jan. Its called a Seekartekompass they where the most accurate compasses available. The Rose still has its Original Marine colours. This one is the main co

?

Default Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)

This compass belongs to my brother Jan.
    Its called a Seekartekompass they where the most accurate compasses available.
    The Rose still has its Original Marine colours.
    This one is the main compass a so called " Steuerkompas".
    This one has a triangle bearing in the ring around the compas, instead of the normally used cheaper needle bearings.
    It has an open bottom without the round bottom.
    This one has a duralumium ring and not the standard iron or brass one.
    Most likely this one is used in Zeppelin, compas can be seen in the right upper angle of the front stearing wheel.
    Pictures are currently underway to the German zeppelin museum, they are digging into it.
    If this research brings new details, i will update this post.
    Enjoy the pics.
    Cheers Ger
    Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass  Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass  Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass  Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass  Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass  Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass  Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass  Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass  Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)

Default Re: Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)

Ger, is Bamberg the maker? If so is it Bamberg or Balmberg? And where did they produce from? Was it Nuernberg?
    Ben

?

Hi Ben,

when you read the upper ring on the compas it says: manufactured by: Carl Bamberg, Berlin- Friedenau
    a little info on these compasses can be found at the compasmuseum:
    they were used in aircrafts and marine ships.
    Compass Museum - Manufacturers Profiles

Bamberg was famous for his highly accurate compasses, which was a achiefment knowing how much steal a Ship or Uboot has...

Cheers,
    Ger

?

important to know that the Zeppelins of the army and the marine flew till 1918 on magnetic compasses.
    The electric powerdriven " Kreiselkompass" replaced the magnetic compass in 1918.
    Kaiserliche Marine used to paint the upper ring red, to maark them as Marine property, and with a green " Kessel"
    The Zeppelins used a chroom " Kessel", this one seems to has the chroom one.

Ger

Ger

Cheers mate, I have a buckle made by Carl Balmberg, Nuernberg, just wondered if they were the same maker
    Ben

Any news on thise one?
    Here is one I am loocking for info about;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carl Bamberg M1690 Seekartekompass  Kaiserliche Marine ( M1903)  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Kris pm sent, mail me detailed macro's of it and i will forward them to my Brother.

Regards,
    Ger

@Ben that is a different maker, this Carl Bamberg only made instruments and was located in Berlin-Friedenau