Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Converted Pickelhaube?

Article about: I've had this helmet for a few months now and thought it was worth posting here. I bought this from a lady who was cleaning out her relative's estate. She had no idea where the helmet came f

Default Converted Pickelhaube?

I've had this helmet for a few months now and thought it was worth posting here. I bought this from a lady who was cleaning out her relative's estate. She had no idea where the helmet came from, but she mentioned her family traces their roots back to Germany. It was her theory that a relative of hers brought it with them from Germany when immigrating to the U.S.

I don't dabble in WWI era stuff that often, but the price on this helmet was just too good to pass up on. It's certainly a firefighters helmet, but there are a few things that make me think this was converted from a military pickelhaube. There are plugs on the top and front of the helmet. The plugs lead me to believe a spike and eagle were once attached to this helmet. I don't know much about pickelhaubes, but to me this helmet looks like it used to be one. Could anyone let me know if my thoughts on this are correct?

Any and all opinions you may be willing to share about this helmet would be greatly apricated!

Converted Pickelhaube?Converted Pickelhaube?Converted Pickelhaube?Converted Pickelhaube?Converted Pickelhaube?Converted Pickelhaube?Converted Pickelhaube?Converted Pickelhaube?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Converted Pickelhaube?
    P
    Many

I agree, that looks like a converted Pickelhaube, never seen one like this, very nice.

MAP
    ?

Looks converted to me as well. It is a Volunteer Firemans helmet from Stotel Germany

The stamping confuses me a bit as I would have expected to see BA VII would have been the Münster Army Corp. But not sure what the B.I.A stands for. Others probably know.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

In the "Great Dictator" with Charlie Chaplin, "Haubes" were used inverted and ... converted!
    Luc

Converted Pickelhaube?

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I'm glad to know my thoughts on this helmet weren't off. Now I'm just wondering when this helmet made it's transition. Was it a fireman's helmet during WW1, or was it relegated to this use in the post war era when Germany was heavily demilitarized? Whatever the case may be I still think it's a really cool example.

Also, you really have me wondering about the marking on the skirt MAP. I'm curious to know what it means.

Cool helmet. Probably converted after WW1. A lot of stock, a reduced army and no money.

Cheers Paul