Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?

Article about: Hello, I picked this one up today on ebay. I have wanted a felt pickelhaube for a while now and this seems to be a nice one. Any info or thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated. I will p

Default Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?

Hello,
    I picked this one up today on ebay.
    I have wanted a felt pickelhaube for a while now and this seems to be a nice one.
    Any info or thoughts on it would be greatly appreciated.
    I will post better photos when I get it.
    Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?   Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?  

Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?   Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?  

Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?   Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?
    P
    Many

I have no real experience with felt Haubes what so ever but I
    like what I see so far.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

It is a nice one friend. I like the war time ersatz helmets.

?

Looking good!

Adler

Thank you for the kind comments all.
    I cant wait to get it and post more photos.

Steve R, when you said, "I like the war time ersatz helmets."
    You mean that my helmet is a pre-war Ersatz (M1895), correct?
    The ones that you like, made during the war, are the M1915 which have the greay eagle and other metal parts, right?
    I am still learning about these.
    I have looked at the Kaiser's site and I believe I have determined that this one is a M1895.

I have wanted a felt helmet for a while and I like the look of the gold with the grey felt.

?

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Thank you for the kind comments all.
    I cant wait to get it and post more photos.

Steve R, when you said, "I like the war time ersatz helmets."
    You mean that my helmet is a pre-war Ersatz (M1895), correct?
    The ones that you like, made during the war, are the M1915 which have the greay eagle and other metal parts, right?
    I am still learning about these.
    I have looked at the Kaiser's site and I believe I have determined that this one is a M1895.

I have wanted a felt helmet for a while and I like the look of the gold with the grey felt.
    The helmet you have is a war time made spike buddy. There are several types of them. Jager shako's, Ulan tschapka's. Hussars Busby's. There were paper mache helmets, steel spikes and tschapka's. All produced during war time as an expedient to leather spikes.
    Cork made helmets were made pre war for tropical climes.
    I hope this helps you.

?

Very nice piece, good to see it is complete. Be careful storing this as the felt is not strong enough to support the weight of the metal fittings. I was had one that had sat on a shelf for 50 years, both visors had curled up and the crown had fallen in. It took a little time and a lot of steam, but I was able to get it back into shape.

Thank you for the info SteveR.

Aicusv thank you for the advice but I display most of my helmets the same way.
    You cant see too well in my photos but I use a helmet stand of my own invention.
    I invented it for US M1 helmets but it seems to work well for all helmets (except Vietnam era US lids).
    It is basically a post on a stand. I put felt on the top of the post and the metal part of the pickelhaube inside the dome will rest on it.
    See photos.
    What do you guys think - is that a good way to display them without harming them?
    I figured this way there is no stress on the leather by its weight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?   Ersatz model 1895 infantry pickelhaube - any thoughts?  

?

That should work to keep the shape. Mine are much the same, just that I have added a disk the same size as the spike base to the top of the post.

Here are some additional pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast