Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Family History - Uniform Identification

Article about: Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this, if not please inform me and I will delete this post. I've been doing some family history, and have been meaning to research a few ancestor

Default Family History - Uniform Identification

Hello,

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not please inform me and I will delete this post. I've been doing some family history, and have been meaning to research a few ancestors time in WW1 for a while now, but have only just got to it.

There are two people that I'd like to examine. I've tried to identify the insignia on their uniforms, but I can't make it out. I figured the experts here may be able to tell me something. I don't know as much about the first man (Wolf), apart from the obvious fact he is wearing an Iron Cross 2nd class.

The second man (thin and with a moustache) Hermann, appears to have been in the cavalry, but I would like confirmation if possible. I know he was in France for some of the war, and was later awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class. In many photos he appears to be in charge. I would guess he was a captain but I really can't tell. The resolution isn't great but I can see a bit better if I open the picture in another tab and zoom in.

Both survived the first war, but Wolf was not as lucky in the second one.

Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated!

Family History - Uniform IdentificationFamily History - Uniform IdentificationFamily History - Uniform IdentificationFamily History - Uniform IdentificationFamily History - Uniform IdentificationFamily History - Uniform Identification

Hi the regiment is 18 as per shoulder boards and the CDV shows it's from Darmstadt making it Hessian, cockade on his cap also points us to the Duchy of Hess.
    It's a start.

cheers

Tony

It would be useful, if you could please supply the surnames of these gentlemen.

Regards
    Glenn

Hard task....

Hessian - Interesting. I suppose it would make sense if he was to fight in France. Thanks Spandau! I think they were originally from Hamburg area.

Their full names are:
    1) Wolf August Adolf Carl Runge
    2) Hermann Otto Ludwig Andrée (my grandfather)

Are their databases upon which we can draw for information about their wartime activities?

Regards,

Reardon

Hello Reardon,

your grandfather is wearing the uniform of an Unteroffizier in the Großherzoglich Train-Bataillon Nr. 18. He was commissioned as a Leutnant der Reserve on 19 December 1911. Judging from the wartime photographs (as he is pictured with what appear to be Foot artillery officers), he was employed in a leadership role with an attached munitions column. In the photograph in which he is wearing a leather helmet, he is also wearing an adjutants' sash. He was promoted to Oberleutnant der Reserve on 22 February 1917. Herr Runge may be more problematical.

Regards
    Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Family History - Uniform Identification   Family History - Uniform Identification  

Thank you very much for the information and references Glenn! This sort of information is invaluable!

I had thought that all the WW1 records were destroyed in a bombing raid on Chemnitz in WW2, but I suppose some material still does exist. Can you provide a book/document/other reference title that I can google? From which sources did you find this material?

Reardon

Hi Reardon,

he first appears in the 1912 edition of the "Rangliste der Königlich Preußischen Armee und des XIII. (Königlich Württembergischen) Armeekorps für ....". This continued to be published annually until 1914 and he continues to be listed in those editions.

His initial commissioning from the rank of Vizewachtmeister to Leutnant and subsequent promotion to Oberleutnant are contained in the "Militär-Wochenblatt":

Issue No 160 of 23 December 1911, column 3694 and

Issue No 147 of 3 March 1917, column 3575 respectively.

Confirmation of his first name (and hence that we are talking about the same guy) is found in the "Hof- und Staats-Handbuch des Großherzogtums Hessen für 1914/15" in which he is shown amongst the reserve officers of Train-Abteilung Nr. 18.

As you say, the records were for the most part destroyed in an air raid (it was Potsdam) and consequently his wartime service records will most probably have gone. The peacetime Train-Abteilungen were used to create literally thousands of independent supply columns, munitions columns, horse depots, medical echelons etc., etc. Those in which he served will not be easily discernible.

Regards
    Glenn

?

I can't help with the photo info,
    But just have to say that some outstanding info Glenn.

Excellent research work!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you again Glenn! Excellent references and information, you've been a huge help.