Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gebruder Bieling - Pickelhaube Exporter to Java

Article about: Hello gents, Lately i'm starting to research the mysterious pickelhaube and cuirass belonging with the local kingdom in here. From the old newspapers articles, both of those thing was ordere

Lightbulb Gebruder Bieling - Pickelhaube Exporter to Java

Hello gents,

Lately i'm starting to research the mysterious pickelhaube and cuirass belonging with the local kingdom in here. From the old newspapers articles, both of those thing was ordered from the Gebruder Bieling company in Hamburg. Both equipments finally equipped or seen in 1905.
    Gebruder Bieling - Pickelhaube Exporter to Java

I also got information that both equipments was made from aluminium. The pickelhaube also had plume and flying eagle accessory for the pike, Gardes du Corps style? It's have the total height of 62.8 cm. Other info suggest the cuirass was nickel plated.

So is there anyone knows more about this company? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by feldgrau33; 03-31-2022 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Changed the year

Very interresting. But Aluminium? I think they would use steel for better protection. Or it is a custom made ceremonial set. My knowledge is limited I'm afraid.

Cheers Paul

Sorry for the late reply,

Yes at first it's planned with steel made equipments. But it's deemed too heavy for the small body Javanese. And yes it's for ceremonial use only. At first it's planned for a whole troops (ca. 1000 men) but it's made only for the royal carriages personnel. I guess because of cost issue. I think there's only 5 pairs had been ordered. It's an ambitious or too ambitious project.

Thx for sharing this absolutely interresting post. It makes certain collectors drool, I suppose.

Cheers Paul