Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GERMAN BAVARIAN ARMY AIR FORCE WW1 ERA large PILOT BADGE

Article about: How can you tell if this is a real pilots badge or not, I see so many out there, thank you for any advice on these.

Default GERMAN BAVARIAN ARMY AIR FORCE WW1 ERA large PILOT BADGE

How can you tell if this is a real pilots badge or not, I see so many out there, thank you for any advice on these. I'm not able to make these pictures any bigger sorry.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GERMAN BAVARIAN ARMY AIR FORCE WW1 ERA large PILOT BADGE   GERMAN BAVARIAN ARMY AIR FORCE WW1 ERA large PILOT BADGE  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement GERMAN BAVARIAN ARMY AIR FORCE WW1 ERA large PILOT BADGE
    P
    Many

Never seen a cut out version of these before.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Even has the guys name engraved and the unit as well down by the lower pin

I'm no expert on these badges. But, I don't like it. The engraving is very likely fake, not least because it so badly done. It's highly unlikely that this is the badge of Adolf Ritter von Tutschek who was a famous WWI ace, PLM and Max Joseph Order recipient. Someone has probably put a fake engraving on what is probably a fake badge to increase its value.

You are right I looked the name up and came up with the same information you did, and thank you. I also read that German pilots never engraved their badges, the local jeweler looked at it and he said who ever engraved this badge did a good job of trying me make this an early German engraving but he can tell the engraving was modern because no one bother to make it look old.

Well, your local jeweler is mistaken. This is not the usual type of engraving one finds on any kind of WWI German award, nor is it well done. Most proper engraving one finds on Iron Cross 1 cl. for example are usually cursive, Kurrentschrift, the old German style writing. But, there's a massive industry these days in engraving all sorts of items, even those that are genuine because it used to add value. The result has been that most collectors don't trust engraving unless the provenance is verifiable and therefore there isn't any sort of added value in most cases.

I agree with you but at least I know this is a fake pilots badge that someone tried to create, this badge is selling for $1500 dollars. Thank you for you input it really helps me when I ask for experts in this field. Cheers.

MAP
    ?

I have never seen a cut out version. I don't like a lot of other things either (crown, the "well" where the hinge is, etc)

I am very curious as to the markings above the pin. Is it a maker mark?

Not a fan. While I don't know the current going rate, it appears that a Bavarian badge for $1,500 is priced just low enough to tempt someone into making a rash decision.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I believe the markings above the catch to be the makers mark.
    I've got a couple images saved to my files of original(supposed) Karl Pollath
    made Bavarians. The Makers marks seem to be similar.

What I really find striking is the difference in quality of the two pictures I have and
    the quality of the one posted. The cut out version has really week details and the edges
    are almost rounded as if it was cast and not struck. To me, it's a cast fake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GERMAN BAVARIAN ARMY AIR FORCE WW1 ERA large PILOT BADGE   GERMAN BAVARIAN ARMY AIR FORCE WW1 ERA large PILOT BADGE  

GERMAN BAVARIAN ARMY AIR FORCE WW1 ERA large PILOT BADGE  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

You are right It's highly unlikely that this is the badge of Adolf Ritter von Tutschek who was a famous WWI ace, PLM and Max Joseph Order recipient. Someone has probably put a fake engraving on what is probably a fake badge. The collector had real items in that case for sale so I guess putting some fake ones in there to enhance a sale I would think., again thank your for your valued input it really helps..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast