MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

German quillback bayonet M1898 n/A, metal scabbard

Article about: I got this bayonet several years ago. The regiment markings match on the scabbard and the bayonet, though the other side of the bayonet has a different marking. Was this a reissued bayonet?

Default German quillback bayonet M1898 n/A, metal scabbard

I got this bayonet several years ago. The regiment markings match on the scabbard and the bayonet, though the other side of the bayonet has a different marking. Was this a reissued bayonet? If so, which one was first? I don't have any references handy, but from doing some web searching, I think the date of manufacture was 1906 from the stamp on the spine. Am I close here?

--Kevin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German quillback bayonet M1898 n/A, metal scabbard   German quillback bayonet M1898 n/A, metal scabbard  

German quillback bayonet M1898 n/A, metal scabbard   German quillback bayonet M1898 n/A, metal scabbard  

German quillback bayonet M1898 n/A, metal scabbard   German quillback bayonet M1898 n/A, metal scabbard  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German quillback bayonet M1898 n/A, metal scabbard
    P
    Many

I can't help with the Regimental markings but the date of mfg. is 1906.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Imperial Saxony royal cypher for Friedrich August III. I rather think the first marking is "R XII" which I think we can assume is the 12th Saxon regiment. When absorbed into the Imperial army of WW1 under Prussian leadership in 1914, it was likely reassigned to the 131 regiment, 1st company and this being weapon 68.
    Never very popular bayonets, the damn thing got stuck in the other guys ribs.

They may never have been popular but I like the looks of them and would still like to add one
    to my collection.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Anderson, thank you very much for your learned reply. I wish I knew more about bayonets, but you can't know everything!

The earlier marking is most likely "R.XII.2" which is Reserve Army Corps 12 staff, weapon 2. The second markings are for the 131st Infantry Regiment, 1st Company, weapon 69 which was a Prussian regiment.

?

Agree with habicht.