Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German tag

Article about: I wanted to get opinions on this tag before I consider purchasing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default German tag

I wanted to get opinions on this tag before I consider purchasing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German tag  

I'm going to assume I should stay away since I'm not hearing anything positive.

Quote by paul kennedy View Post
    I'm going to assume I should stay away since I'm not hearing anything positive.
    Hi Paul,

It is a nice original zinc WW1 German ID tag. Two holes at the top and one at the bottom for the chord and score lines for snapping the tag in half. I’ll post a could of pictures of mine in a moment for comparisons.

Andy

Hi Paul.

I can't help with authenticity, but I think I found a record of him on ancestry.

UK, World War II Alien Internees, 1939-1945 for Fritz Blumenthal.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German tag  

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi Paul.

I can't help with authenticity, but I think I found a record of him on ancestry.

UK, World War II Alien Internees, 1939-1945 for Fritz Blumenthal.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Nice work Will! The birth date checks out too. Even at the end of WW1 he was 31, so a little older than the average.

Paul, your example would appear to be a later ((circa 1916) ID tag as noted by the score lines with separations to aid breaking the tag in two, and the larger size to record more information should the soldier change units etc. Below are a couple of earlier examples from my collection.
    Andy

German tag

Interesting info on the tags. Just watched remake of All Quiet On The Western Front. Showed soldier snapping the discs in half from fallen soldiers. Glad you found info on soldier.

Thank you very much Andy and Will.

Hadn't seen the OP but it's an original. I think I read that he was from Charlottenberg?

Thank you BlackCat1982