MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

German Trench Bayonet WW1, Anything good?

Article about: Hello Warrelic members, I hope some of you can help me with this bayonet i found online. I've always wanted a german ww1 trench bayonet, the odd shape makes me like it! The paint is complete

Dos
    ?

Default German Trench Bayonet WW1, Anything good?

Hello Warrelic members,

I hope some of you can help me with this bayonet i found online. I've always wanted a german ww1 trench bayonet, the odd shape makes me like it!

The paint is completely gone on this one... Thats a huge bummer, but the price is not too high.. Just considering it.

I've compared this one to some other posts in the archive here. I'm in the range of saying it is fake.. but i don't know for sure.

On the opposite side of the DRGM (Does not match up with what i have seen original so far) marking on the blade is none marking at all.. The snap buttons on the leather seem to new for a WWI piece in this condition.

Any opinions on this bayonet will be much appreciated!

-Dos

German Trench Bayonet WW1, Anything good?German Trench Bayonet WW1, Anything good?
    German Trench Bayonet WW1, Anything good?German Trench Bayonet WW1, Anything good?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Trench Bayonet WW1, Anything good?
    P
    Many

You can compare with my example here.
    Demag Crank Handle Trench Knife/Bayonet
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Greetings Dos,

I do not like the scabbard's non-hollow rivets (rear) combined with the embossed lines on the scabbard's retaining strap (either trait alone is believable yet, together they're a red flag waving violently). There're several reproduction outlets for these bayonets made in several countries over several decades. Currently, the most common (Indian) are sold in the "white" without any finish on them, so seeing one without any paint left in the nooks & crannies is a tell of sorts (at least for my money). Also, would ask to hear what the measurement of the cross guard's thickness is.....most reproductions clock in at 4mm thick whereas an original will be 3mm. There are other things to look for, but the example you have shared does not merit that level of discussion with just a few of the issues/challenges I have already mentioned.

There are multiple threads here on this forum if you use the search box with "DEMAG Bayonet." Perusing a few of these threads will provide a wealth of knowledge for those inclined to desire "right as rain." I wish you much luck!

Best,

V/r Lance
    Last edited by MilitariaOne; 11-05-2020 at 02:58 AM.

Dos
    ?

Hello Lance,

Thank you for your well explained response.

I did not notice the non-hollow rivets on the scabbard. I have looked at some other examples here and in my archive and they all seem to have hollow centers on the rivets. Some other german knives that are in my possession seem to share the same rivets and construction on the scabbard. Good point!

The lack of any paint in any of the corners or edges on the handle or scabbard is something i don't like either. Even a well worn example should atleast have some traces..

I did ask for the measurements on the cross guard with preferably a photo that goes with it. Just to make this thread more complete for anyone else pursuing this bayonet.

Much appreciated!

Cheers,

-Dos

Lance has nailed it again. Yes, this is definitely an Indian made reproduction Demag that someone else has rather skillfully aged to give near convincing patina. But the rivets are wrong as Lance points out and I'm willing to bet that snap button does not have the "flower" mark always seen on these, though for many the strap is often missing. The embossed line on the leather is indeed a feature of one particular Indian maker who makes another trench knife as well. Very rare for no traces of paint to survive on real ones. Below a photo of a good Demag. I wouldn't waste time asking for more photos of that one above.

Dos
    ?

Thanks Anderson!

I had my doubts before posting it here. Always nice to have some opinions from you guys that have some extensive knowledge on these blades! This forum is great

Just to make this thread more complete for future references on fake German WWI Demag trench bayonets i will post this photo here below.

It measures close to 4 mm in thickness on the cross guard. Instead of the 3 mm that is found on originals.

-Dos

Dos have you told the seller he's got a fake? Perhaps he knows.

Dos
    ?

Yes i told him.. I don't know if he knows that it is a reproduction. He sells some other german knives, but those have a bit of the same "look" to them.

https://www.marktplaats.nl/u/benoit/22288555/