Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber?

Article about: Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber? I would be very grateful for your help. Marine sword - Google Photos

?

Default Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber?

Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber?
    I would be very grateful for your help.
    Marine sword - Google Photos
    Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber?Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber?
    P
    Many

Why would a Naval sword be named to an Infantry regiment?
    The dedication has been done by hand, with a hammer and punch.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Good morning.

Why would a Naval sword be named to an Infantry regiment?
    Because he was an officer in the 2. Marine-Infanterie-Regiment, a naval infantry formation deployed for the most part on the Flanders coastline front. Leutnant Otto Kiehl, born 14 February 1895 and killed in action on 25 March 1918 at St. Albert.

Regards
    Glenn

Well done Glenn.

Thank you,

at the time of his death, Lt. Kiehl was the company commander of 5./M.I.R. 2. The regiment was fighting in the Somme sector as part of 3. Marine-Division during the German March offensive of 1918. Also killed on that day was his battalion commander, Hauptmann d.R. Edgar Gruenewald, commanding II./M.I.R. 2. Otto Kiehl was born in Münden.

The battalion order of battle of March 1918 is shown below.

Regards
    Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber?  
    Last edited by Glenn J; 05-14-2021 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Orbat added

?

Many thanks. This is a note, this is very valuable information. Can I ask you, where did you find this information? or is it a secret source?

No secret!

He is listed in the “Ehrenrangliste der kaiserlich Deutschen Marine 1914-18” and the order of battle is scanned from the regimental history “Das Marine-Infanterie-Regiment 2 im Weltkriege 1914/18” by Generalmajor a.D. von Goetze, Verlag Gerhard Stalling, 1926.

Regards
    Glenn

A little digging around turned up a couple of images of Otto Kiehl. Although not explicitly stated, Lt. Kiehl must be the platoon commander and right hand man of the leading file of this parade. Lt. Emil Erbe was considerably senior as a Leutnant der Reserve (11.11.11) to Herr Kiehl (17.10.15). Furthermore Lt. Kiehl is not listed with an iron cross 1st class in 1918 unlike the then Oberleutnant Erbe. Much clearer in the group photograph, Lt. Kiehl (misspelt as Kiel!) is standing 2nd from the left with his right hand in his bluse pocket. These from the "Nachrichtenblatt der Offiziervereinigung der Marine Infanterie" The parade before the Kaiser took place at Escaudoeuvres by Cambrai.

Regards
    Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber?   Hello everybody . I got an old imperial naval saber. Tell me how can I find information on the owner of the saber?  

Excellent bit of research. Really brought alive a tired looking sword.

?

Thank you so much for your help. very interesting story. and a special thank you for the photo