Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet M. 16 chin strap?

Article about: Hi, I need help for this m. 16 helmet chin strap. The seller say it is original from a ww1 stanhelm, but before buy it I need your opinions. It has chance? Thank you very much i advanced. Pa

Default Helmet M. 16 chin strap?

Hi,
    I need help for this m. 16 helmet chin strap. The seller say it is original from a ww1 stanhelm, but before buy it I need your opinions. It has chance?
    Thank you very much i advanced.
    Partisan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet M. 16 chin strap?   Helmet M. 16 chin strap?  

Helmet M. 16 chin strap?   Helmet M. 16 chin strap?  

Helmet M. 16 chin strap?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet M. 16 chin strap?
    P
    Many

I have doubs becauce somebody say that the leather must be brown and not black. Is it correct?

Hello Partisan,

The chinstrap M91 was originally intended for the Pickelhaube, the leather helmet. These straps were the same as used as on the M16 steel helmets.

So I guess the black ones were reissued and brown ones were newly made.

Cheers,
    Emile

Thanks Emile, but in your opinion this is an original one?

Hi Partisian,

Original steel helmet chinstraps can be found in brown leather and dyed black. Many of the earlier examples found on steel helmets came directly off Pickelhaubes as they were phased out as both share the M91 chinstrap post.

Original examples of chinstraps are now quite rare and command lots of $$. Be aware that there are lots of replica ww1 helmets parts for sale online these days including chinstraps. Your example appears to be unused and has the appearance of a replica so you need to be very cautious. For comparison, see below an example of a replica strap, similar, to yours that came with an M16 steel helmet that I purchased. The seller did note that the item was a replica strap when selling.

And below that, a couple of photos of an original dyed strap on one of my helmets.

Andy

Helmet M. 16 chin strap?Helmet M. 16 chin strap?Helmet M. 16 chin strap?

Alternatively, but at prices approaching 200 euros I found these two chin straps.
    First:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet M. 16 chin strap?   Helmet M. 16 chin strap?  

second:

what do you think about these last two? Are more reliable than the first one I posted, in your opinion which one is better?

Thanks again

The last one clearly looks the part!

Emile

?

I don't like the leather on either the first nor the last straps posted. Look at the pics of the strap posted by AndyM35, notice anything different? How about the color of the back of the leather?