Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying Imperial/WW1 German Uniform

Article about: I recently picked up this , what I suspect is a Pre-WW1 German Imperial Uniform from the collar tag and Buttons. From what I can make out, from the collar tag it was made by Mohr & Speye

?

Default Help Identifying Imperial/WW1 German Uniform

I recently picked up this , what I suspect is a Pre-WW1 German Imperial Uniform
    from the collar tag and Buttons.
    From what I can make out, from the collar tag it was made by Mohr & Speyer Konigliche Moflieferantr (?) and the buttons made by Hochfeine Qualitaet.
    There is numbers 604 35 stenciled in the back of the jacket. It appears to have a few buttons missing and the lower sleeve trims may be missing/removed(?). The Collar is a Black felt material and there is an inside belt.
    Any help identifying this uniform, as to era/ years, region, unit, rank and any other information would be greatly appreciated.
    Also if possible, what color lower sleeves trip is missing and what type of shoulder board ( and any other pieces) may be needed to complete this uniform?

Help Identifying Imperial/WW1 German UniformHelp Identifying Imperial/WW1 German UniformHelp Identifying Imperial/WW1 German UniformHelp Identifying Imperial/WW1 German UniformHelp Identifying Imperial/WW1 German UniformHelp Identifying Imperial/WW1 German UniformHelp Identifying Imperial/WW1 German Uniform

?

I sometimes notice that on German WW1 and WW2, shoulder straps they are a bit mismatched with a different shades of color, shapes, configurations or different style or size“pips”. I was wondering if this was “common” to be mismatched when wearing on their uniform? Any thoughts as to “why” the mismatch?
    Also, for an example, if some artillery officers wore shoulder straps that did not have artillery cyphers on the shoulder straps?
    Was this unusual, common or against regulations?
    Also were only officers permitted to wear private purchases uniforms? Did Enlisted men wear private purchase uniforms also?
    I know this is a lot of questions. But I appreciate it. I am trying to restore this Pre-WW1 Dunkleblau uniform as accurately as possible.

?

Shoulder straps, like many insignia, were frequently made by homeworkers, so a great deal of subtle (sometimes huge) variation will naturally occur - even by the same worker. This is frequently noticeable in regard to the chain-stitched numerals.
    The raw materials, or pre-cut parts were supplied by the state, and collected later as finished items. With shoulder straps, two were issued - nobody took the time to assemble visually matching sets - and were, thus, a ‘pair’ in name, if not always character.
    A ‘miss-matched’ pair has never really bothered me (and often adds to the interest); so long as they have clearly been worn as such.
    The more you study this hobby, the more oddities and peculiarities you will discover; surely one of its biggest appeals.

Private purchase items were not unique to Officers and NCOs, though far more common than for other ranks, whose pay didn’t always stretch so far.

The OP tunic might be for one of the technical branches (from its black collar and red piping), such as artillery or engineers.

?

Thank you very much for your thoughts!
    Also, Would you think, the pre-WW1 uniform , that I have posted here is Officer, EM, or could be either?
    From the tailor tag, it looks like it is a private purchase. Your thoughts?
    Also, could artillery officers ( or EM), sometimes NOT wear an artillery cypher on the shoulder straps?

?

Certainly private purchase. I would lean toward NCO, rather than Officer, by virtue of the stencilled numbers (which seem a bit crass for an officer’s garment), though I am unsure of their meaning.

?

Thanks. Good thoughts!
    I have also been told, suggested that the 6 04 35 could mean: the jacket may have been from 1904 (maybe June?) and 35 may be the unit. The 35th infantry artillery attachments were :
    * 35. Feldartillerie-Brigade
    * Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 71 Großkomtur
    * Thorner Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 81

?

This just popped up on the bay...
    An artillery (Officer’s) tunic, detailing the cuff facings and finished look. While I would favour an NCO version for your example, for the reasons stated above, it’s up to you which direction you take it, of course.
    It certainly looks like a great restoration project!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identifying Imperial/WW1 German Uniform   Help Identifying Imperial/WW1 German Uniform  

Help Identifying Imperial/WW1 German Uniform   Help Identifying Imperial/WW1 German Uniform  

?

Thanks Kohima. Yes. Just like mine. I understand about the NCO over Officer.
    But thanks. A great example.