Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying "Wings". A Mystery

Article about: I recently picked up these two wings that came out of an old collector's estate. Most of the pins and badges were British, WW1, with a few from the WW2 era. Mixed in were these two "win

?

Default Help Identifying "Wings". A Mystery

I recently picked up these two wings that came out of an old collector's estate. Most of the pins and badges were British, WW1, with a few from the WW2 era. Mixed in were these two "wings". I only ended up with the "wings". No information on them. They have the very distinct look and similarity to the Austrian, German, Bulgarian, style of "birds" on the aviator badges. They also resemble some of the early British albatross wings, but definitely not British. Their size is what makes them interesting. They are 3 inches wide. There is the remnants of gold in the low spots, so they must have been gilt gold originally. Interestingly, the pins are SMALL and only spot soldered on the back.

They may not even be military related, but they sure give me the impression that they are. Possibly civilian patriotic or something else? I do like the size and the fact they look very much like the aviator style wings..........

They look good with all my other wings, and the investigation into their origin has been very stimulating, but I am at the end of my leads now. I am hoping someone has seen them before, can offer an opinion, or give me a clue to follow.
    Thanks!

Help Identifying "Wings".  A Mystery Help Identifying "Wings".  A Mystery

Help Identifying "Wings".  A Mystery Help Identifying "Wings".  A Mystery

Help Identifying "Wings".  A Mystery

?

Have you researched Dutch or something related to the Netherlands? That's what they remind me of.

Perhaps this link can help narrow the search

Aviation Wings and Badges of the World Wars
    Regards, Al

?

Thanks for tip. I dug into the old Royal Netherlands Air Force badges and wings. Similar, but enough differences to make me think that's not the answer. There seems to be a real lack of the very early wings from various "secondary" air services of the WW1 - WW2 era. Stay tuned..........

MAP
    ?

These don't look military to me. Especially the construction of the pin. This type of setup is not very robust. Something you would see on a Tinnie that was not expected to last.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I think I am leaning towards the Tinnie solution for these. My guess is that they are similar enough to the WW1 Austrian, Ger,man, aviator badge "birds", that they may be from that era, or just after. With the size being so large, and no other wording or markings, they may have been for kids (?). No matter, I like them and they will find a place in the corner of my displays until I definitively ID them, or not...........