Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with M1898/05 Imperial German "butcher blade" bayonet.....

Article about: On spine of blade appears to be Royal cypher with crown and "W" under it (Probably Wilhelm 2). Under that is a "17". Year of make I understand. Under that, still on spine

?

Default Help with M1898/05 Imperial German "butcher blade" bayonet.....

On spine of blade appears to be Royal cypher with crown and "W" under it (Probably Wilhelm 2). Under that is a "17". Year of make I understand. Under that, still on spine of blade is what appears to the best of my ability to describe to be another crown symbol with an emblem that resembles the PI symbol of math. Now, my greatest point of uncertainty has to do with what appears to be another royal cypher on the handle just above the locking piece for attachment to rifle. It is what appears to be a crown symbol again and the symbol under it this time most closely resembles that of Wilhelm the 1st! Though it is in no way a definite match to that cypher. This confuses me. Why the differences in what appear to be royal cyphers? Please help someone. Manufacturer was Schubert v. Salzer. Tip of the scabbard has a "31" on it.Help with M1898/05 Imperial German "butcher blade" bayonet.....Help with M1898/05 Imperial German "butcher blade" bayonet.....Help with M1898/05 Imperial German "butcher blade" bayonet.....Help with M1898/05 Imperial German "butcher blade" bayonet.....Help with M1898/05 Imperial German "butcher blade" bayonet.....
    Last edited by MrNemo; 01-23-2015 at 06:37 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with M1898/05 Imperial German "butcher blade" bayonet.....
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Photos would definately help in some of our members giving you the information that you are searching for.
    This will help you in understanding how to post photos here.
    The Forum's Original and EASY TO USE Image Hosting Feature
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

The crown over W above the date of manufacture, is the royal cypher of Wilhelm, as you have surmised. All the other crown over fraktur style letters are inspectors stamps. Do you have the grips for it? Love the makers mark.

Jim

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Looks like another
    inspection stamp on the scabbard tip to me.

Is the bayonet in the process of being heavily
    cleaned and polished ? Why are the grips
    off/missing.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thank you very much for the information. Am I misunderstanding about Wilhelm? Was there not a 1st and a 2nd. Different emperors, correct? The makers marks on both sides are pretty close to pristine. Other side is Schubert v. Salzer Maschinenfabrik Solingen-Foche. Am I to understand you correctly that the stamp on the handle is just an inspectors stamp? No grips. Just the blade and scabbard. Looking to refurbish it possibly if I can find the handles and a frog and possibly a troddel. Could you possibly point me in the right direction for those?

?

Thank you both very much. Grips weren't with it. Looking for some possibly. So the stamp on tip of scabbard is inspectors too? Where is the unit issued to identification? Is that some of the numbers just above the blade where the makers mark is? Thanks again very much.

?

Quote by MrNemo View Post
    Thank you both very much. Grips weren't with it. Looking for some possibly. So the stamp on tip of scabbard is inspectors too? Where is the unit issued to identification? Is that some of the numbers just above the blade where the makers mark is? Thanks again very much.
    The numbers on the cross guard are probably a serial or rack number for inventory/storage during the Weimar era after WWI. Yes there were 2 Wilhelms, the only way to tell which one is by the date under the cypher. All the other stamps are inspector markings.

Since you don't have the grips or screws, they can sometimes be found on ebay but, sometimes finding a poor conditioned 98/05 with good grips will be cheaper to source the parts you need from it.

Jim

Be careful with that though, wooden grips were hand-made and the ones you'd buy (original or replica) might not fit the handle a full 100%.

"The makers marks on both sides are pretty close to pristine. Other side is Schubert v. Salzer Maschinenfabrik Solingen-Foche."
    => seems correct, the majority of Gottlieb's production was made in co-operation with other firms (cfr Carter's volume I on the 98/05 bayonet).

Does the scabbard show any acceptance-marks on the mouth (topside) aswell...?