Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Needed With 1870 Eisernes Kreuz

Article about: I have been shown a group of Eisernes Kreuz II for 1870. I have no real idea of originally. I have looked at the various threads on this Forum and I have some concerns. I have not made any d

mjw
    ?

Default Help Needed With 1870 Eisernes Kreuz

I have been shown a group of Eisernes Kreuz II for 1870. I have no real idea of originally. I have looked at the various threads on this Forum and I have some concerns. I have not made any decision to purchase, a thumbs down from the Forum will make that decision for me! If anyone can offer an opinion I would be extremely grateful! I apologise for the pictures, but they were taken in a "junk shop" with poor lighting. They seemed ok at the time!

TOP RIGHT is a mounted group of three, the Jubilee medal is missing. It seems to be a contemporary mounting, but who knows! My concern is the "8" in "1870" which seems to loop under and over? Perhaps it might be a replacement issue from 1914+?

BOTTOM LEFT is a two thirds size piece. Again same concern with the "8". It is mounted on a black buttonhole fitting with makers details for Godet.

TOP LEFT & BOTTOM RIGHT. They may be full size, but seem to be some kind of replacement issue? One is repaired at the suspension.

Any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated.

Kind regards, Malcolm.

Help Needed With 1870  Eisernes Kreuz
    Last edited by rbminis; 10-02-2018 at 03:50 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Needed With 1870  Eisernes Kreuz
    P
    Many

The pictures did not load the way you have them described.

From what I can tell, the cross 2nd from the top looks to be a good
    typeB cross. The bottom cross (I think) is a S/L made piece from around 1905.
    The top cross and the cross 3rd from the bottom, the pictures are bad enough that I can not
    give a good opinion on them.

I can say that the ribbon on the top cross is a (NEW) replacement.

The only one that I would buy without bigger, better, more in focus pictures
    is the one 2nd from top.

Here is my typeB cross to compare against---
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Needed With 1870  Eisernes Kreuz  
    Last edited by Chopperman; 10-02-2018 at 04:35 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi Greg,
    I have reloaded the photos to clear your description up a bit.
    On my screen, there were two across and two down. Now they are all one above the other.
    Ralph.

P.S. All of the crowns seem to lack detail to me.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hi Greg,
    I have reloaded the photos to clear your description up a bit.
    On my screen, there were two across and two down. Now they are all one above the other.
    Ralph.

P.S. All of the crowns seem to lack detail to me.
    Thanks Ralph.
    On my screen they were one above the other.

You are right, they all lack detail. That is very common for the S/L cross. They
    are really poorly detailed and dealer prices always seem to reflect that.

The top cross is just plain ugly and I have some real doubts about it's authenticity.
    The cross that is 3rd from the top has poor detail but the pictures are extremely bad.
    Maybe with clear, sharp, in-focus pictures, I might be able to get a better opinion on it.

Here is another of the S/L made pieces to compare against. This is an image borrowed from
    another source. I do not have one like it in my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Needed With 1870  Eisernes Kreuz  
    Last edited by Chopperman; 10-03-2018 at 01:14 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

mjw
    ?

Hello Greg and Ralph.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Greatly appreciated.

I am sorry that my descriptions have not matched the picture order. I am not sure what I do wrong when loading them, but it happens all the time. Some training needed!

Both your comments have given me a lot to think about. The one I feel most confident with is the single Prinzen cross with the 25 oakleaves. It is mounted on a Godet button and looks the part. But being "new" to this area of collecting I have to admit I know very little about the subject.

If I can take clearer pictures I will post them up.

Once again, many thanks for all your help.

Kind regards, Malcolm.

The top EKII has such a crud suspension ring loop, it appears to have been filled with solder, I see no reason to do this on an original item so would give it a clear thumbs down.
    The second one, I'm not sure about the detail of the iron core, there is a mark on the left side that might be where someone has scratched away at it - the iron beneath looks quite unblemished for a EK of such age. The third picture is too indistinct to make a judgement on. The one at the bottom looks like a repaint.

mjw
    ?

BlacCat many thanks for the comments. Greatly appreciated.

Unless I can post clearer pictures for for further advice it would seem that I would be best placed to walk away from all of them.

Kind regards, Malcolm.