Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying - German Butcher Bayonet Sawback Removed

Article about: Hi, Had this beauty come in recently. It's a WW1 German Butcher Bayonet with the sawback removed. However the blade has been blued which indicates post-WW1 rework so trying to figure out whe

?

Default Identifying - German Butcher Bayonet Sawback Removed

Hi,

Had this beauty come in recently. It's a WW1 German Butcher Bayonet with the sawback removed. However the blade has been blued which indicates post-WW1 rework so trying to figure out whether that was Weimar Republic or WW2. There are some interesting markings on here which I'm not familiar with.

- Three star like symbols of some sort on the on the scabbard which appear to have the numbers 107 under it

- "12V" on the pommel of the scabbard

- Two dots near an 8 which I think may be an 18 which I am guessing has to do with the removal of the sawback

- "1 - 18" on the scabbard

Any advice is welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying - German Butcher Bayonet Sawback Removed   Identifying - German Butcher Bayonet Sawback Removed  

Identifying - German Butcher Bayonet Sawback Removed   Identifying - German Butcher Bayonet Sawback Removed  

Identifying - German Butcher Bayonet Sawback Removed   Identifying - German Butcher Bayonet Sawback Removed  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying - German Butcher Bayonet Sawback Removed
    P
    Many

Looks like a "16" on the spine indicating 1916 acceptance. In 1917 the order was given to remove the sawback edge. I would say the blueing of the blade would be Weimar era and most likely a Polizei used weapon. Military used bayonets were controlled post WW1 and usually you would see a "1920" mark stamped on the crossbar. Other marks like 3 stars on scabbard is normal deleting of regimental marks, probably done after the war.

?

Cheers Anderson.

Much appreciated!