Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial German sword

Article about: Hi, would anyone be able to give me a little information on this sword as I know very little about it in terms of value and rarity please. It came straight from the persons son who bought it

Default Imperial German sword

Hi, would anyone be able to give me a little information on this sword as I know very little about it in terms of value and rarity please. It came straight from the persons son who bought it back from France In 1920 when he was discharged, Iv got some great provenance and information about him. Blade is etched on all three edges.

Thanks
    Imperial German swordImperial German sword
    Imperial German sword
    Imperial German sword
    Imperial German sword
    Imperial German sword
    Imperial German sword
    Imperial German sword
    Imperial German swordImperial German sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial German sword
    P
    Many

Value and rarity?
    I'm not a sword guy but rarity would be determined by a few things
    such as the maker of the sword and any references to the unit, regiment
    or what ever may be associated with the sword. From the pictures, I do not see
    any makers marks or any distinguishing markings what so ever.

The crossed cannons on the blade etch suggests that that it belonged to an artillery man
    and the sword knot style I believe is Austria-Hungarian.

As far as value, we done not provide monetary values on this forum however
    you could look on dealer sites or ebay to see what other swords like this one
    are selling for.

sorry I can't be of more help.
    You might try posting it in the sword forum so that the sword guys
    can take a look -----------
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/sword...reich-austria/
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

It's Imperial German, I believe. It should have a makers name under the langet, or along the spine of the blade.

?

A makers mark should be located under one of the hilt's side shields (tab that has the cross sword on it). The emblem on the side shield generally identifies the branch, the cross cannon on the blade I believe are just part of a trophy decoration. The double rings on the scabbard would date as pre-1906 (I think that is the date of the change to the single ring). I would say that this is an officer's sword for an officer of a light cavalry unit. Usually the unit would be marked on the blade. It is hard to tell what the colors are for the Portedee (sword knot). It appears it could be silver and black or blue or dark green. Or gold with black or blue or dark green. Swords of this pattern were made for export and for civilian organizations as well.

Swords aren't my things, hopefully someone can offer a better insight.

Irrespective of the sword portapee, the sword is of a type designed for a Prussian Cavalry or Artillery officer. The crossed sabres were not exclusive to Cavalry purchasers ( this is a private purchase sword) and the etching is a generic type showing sabres, cannons and lancers. It has features that suggest the maker is Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie, I would agree probably made pre-1906, the scabbard being painted black, that likely occurred after 1910, so could be nickel plated steel underneath.

Thank you for all the information! The portapee is a dark green on the inside and the band that holds it is cream with black stripes. I just don’t seem to be able to find a makers mark on it anywhere? Where private purchase swords also marked?

"Where private purchase swords also marked?"
    Some were, some weren't. Have a look under the langets, may have a mark.