Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Imperial German war flag

Article about: I found a new one that looks better and more real then the last one, if anyone could help that would be much appreciated.

CBH
    ?

It looks like it’s there to deceive to me, I’ll see if I have an image of it correctly installed.
    It would be sown in during construction if it belonged there, not all flags have them but poor photos of the edge and this added swivel would make me think twice.

Hello,

Sorry for not jumping in sooner on your posting. I'm not the "expert" on these, though I do have opinions on them from time to time. This one is hard for me to judge, but I don't feel comfortable thinking it was produced during WW1. When it was made after that, I don't know for certain. The expert on these was Ben Weed, otherwise known as "OFW" or "Old Flags Wanted" from the WAF forum. Here is the photo from one of his threads on the WAF forum.

I suggest if you really want to buy one of these, that you should study the Flags section on WAF, and do a search on the Imperial Kriegsflagge or WW1 German Battle Flag in that "Flags" section, in order to see the variations of the eagle and the time periods that experts like Ben and others make on these "Imperial Battle Flags". They are a true "minefield" for certain, with all the fakes and replicas made over the years, plus the WW2 era made examples, and examples that were made by at least one company that existed during WW2 and made them up into the early 1960's time period from what I understand (those ones usually have the black striping pattern on the white halyard, if anyone is unaware of that manufacturer). And if you're going to be spending $500 to $1,000+ for what someone is claiming to be an original, it's best to do your homework on the excellent postings on WAF "Flags" section using their search engine feature. This forum here is a remarkably fantastic forum. I only wish that it had better info here on these Imperial German Kriegsflagge.

Unfortunately Ben passed away recently, far too early in life. And his wealth of knowledge is sorely missed.

All the Best,

Alan

Imperial German war flag

So one last thing, I contacted the seller and he said that he has the flag certified for the imperial era and ww1. With this knowledge should I still steer clear of the flag?.

"certified imperial era and WW1" Wow, that's priceless, LOL. A great seller for sure. His "certified" is probably about as good as toilet paper.

Quite honestly I'm about finished commenting on any further so-called "imperial battle flags" that anyone wants to post here in the future. No one wants to listen to what I just said, and do their homework like I said.

How does the old saying go? "A fool and his money are soon parted". Sorry for being so incredibly blunt.

Do what you feel you want to do. Apparently you didn't even study the photo I posted here before you "contacted the seller" and are falling into the false security of what he is telling you. WOW! And you have what, 14-posts here, and just joined this very month?

I've been collecting for 40 years, and still am learning things, and have learned to be extremely cautions and wary of a seller's stories. I'm truly sorry that you don't care to do your homework like I suggested and where to do it at: on WAF "Flags" forum...

Geez, I was only asking. I’m not good at flags like you are. I just trying to makes sure, chill.

I’m not getting the flag and I do homework but like you said in your own words the imperial flag is a minefield and has a bunch of different types. But I will be using the form that you told me to use and I thank you for that form. It’s gonna be hard to find a original and I try to do my best, the reason why I asked so many questions is because I wanted to see if their was any chance if it being real. I’m new to collecting flags, I never had one and want a imperial war flag so next time just be easy. But I do sincerely thank you for your help and because if you I know more and have a better understanding of flags. Thank you for your time.

Geez, I was only asking. I’m not good at flags like you are. I just trying to makes sure, chill.
    Right....... Me chill...... LOL. That's real special.

You seem hell bent on buying the flag, and giving every indication that you're willing to do just that, far more than you are indicating that you claim to be simply "only asking" about the flag here. You're certainly not giving Any Indication of being willing to do your homework like I suggested for you to do. And then you tell me to "chill". Again, priceless.

Well thank you for your time and your professionalism again.

MAP
    ?

Quote by ww1czechlegion View Post
    Hello,

Sorry for not jumping in sooner on your posting. I'm not the "expert" on these, though I do have opinions on them from time to time. This one is hard for me to judge, but I don't feel comfortable thinking it was produced during WW1. When it was made after that, I don't know for certain. The expert on these was Ben Weed, otherwise known as "OFW" or "Old Flags Wanted" from the WAF forum. Here is the photo from one of his threads on the WAF forum.

I suggest if you really want to buy one of these, that you should study the Flags section on WAF, and do a search on the Imperial Kriegsflagge or WW1 German Battle Flag in that "Flags" section, in order to see the variations of the eagle and the time periods that experts like Ben and others make on these "Imperial Battle Flags". They are a true "minefield" for certain, with all the fakes and replicas made over the years, plus the WW2 era made examples, and examples that were made by at least one company that existed during WW2 and made them up into the early 1960's time period from what I understand (those ones usually have the black striping pattern on the white halyard, if anyone is unaware of that manufacturer). And if you're going to be spending $500 to $1,000+ for what someone is claiming to be an original, it's best to do your homework on the excellent postings on WAF "Flags" section using their search engine feature. This forum here is a remarkably fantastic forum. I only wish that it had better info here on these Imperial German Kriegsflagge.

Unfortunately Ben passed away recently, far too early in life. And his wealth of knowledge is sorely missed.

All the Best,

Alan

Imperial German war flag
    Very helpful comparison Alan. As always you provide great information. I for one would like to get an original some day. And will use this as a teaching tool.

For everyone: let's have a bit of patience. I remember early on when I first started collecting. Little knowledge, unsure of who / what / where to gather information, and more times than not I'm sure I had lots of questions that in looking back were silly or just ill informed and sounded like I didn't agree or understand.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2