Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Sword Authentication

Article about: Hey there! I’m super new to this hobby and was just wondering if anyone could help me to authenticate this German Artillery Officer’s sword. The person I purchased this off I think is qu

?

Default Imperial Sword Authentication

Hey there!

I’m super new to this hobby and was just wondering if anyone could help me to authenticate this German Artillery Officer’s sword. The person I purchased this off I think is quite well known in the militaria field where I’m from but would just like a second opinion on the authenticity of this sword. There is a makers mark underneath one of the langets attributing it to WKC. It’s a very beautiful sword in very good condition but there is a crack on the black of the handle which puts some doubts in my mind about the quality of this piece. As I’m new to this I don’t know which photos are helpful but here are a couple to show the sword and the crack I was talking about.

Any information will be super helpful
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Sword Authentication   Imperial Sword Authentication  

Imperial Sword Authentication   Imperial Sword Authentication  

Imperial Sword Authentication   Imperial Sword Authentication  

Imperial Sword Authentication  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Imperial Sword Authentication
    P
    Many

It's actually a nice Prussian artillery/ Cavalry sabre type, made by WKC. It's an etched private purchase sabre, but based on the grey overpaint I suspect it was carried in the field, but probably post WW1. I say that because of the style of "knight's head" logo that emerged in the 1920's, so I would lean to post-imperial. Also no Imperial motifs visible in the etching. A little bit of grip damage, I would call that character.

?

Thank you! For future, do you have any tips on how to tell reproductions apart from originals? I’ve read that some reproductions are extremely convincing but I was wondering if there was any way to confirm an original piece or reproduction. Thank you again for the information!

The answer to your question is study, and handling the authentic pieces, and also photographs. That gives experience and tunes your eye to know what to look for. You can't gain that over night, but given time anyone can achieve that level of expertise. Good luck!

?

It is id'd to the 1st Horse Battery, Artillery Regimet 6 (Feld-Artillerie-Regt. von Puecker (1. Schlesisches) Nr.6 (Breslau) VI Armee Korps)