Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovel

Article about: I purchased a shovel that was described to be a WWI-era shovel but was vague in its description. TBH I didn't really care about what it really was when I bought it as I am not an avid collec

Default Looking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovel

I purchased a shovel that was described to be a WWI-era shovel but was vague in its description. TBH I didn't really care about what it really was when I bought it as I am not an avid collector and I just thought "Old shovel looks cool. I have $80 to spare." So I spent 60$ + ~13$ in taxes/shipping to buy one that was part of an assortment of many. Now that I have it, I have gotten curious as to what it actually is. A bit backwards from what I should have done but I'm trying to find out more.

Anyways, aforementioned eBay page:

Pictures attached to ad:

Looking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovelLooking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovelLooking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovelLooking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovelLooking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovel

I spent a solid hour plus cleaning the grease off it when it arrived, but I can't seem to find any markings to indicate any era or producer. The shovel seems to be in quite good condition with almost no traces of rust, though that could be in large part to the grease that encased it. The blade itself is in good condition with some assorted nicks, and the serrated edge of the shovel is still moderately sharp. I have not found any shovels that looked exactly the same as this one through my research on it but it appears to be akin to the Linnemann design.

Looking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovelLooking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovel

Some quick measurements put the shovel at about 21 inches (~54 cm) tall with the blade being about 8 inches (20 cm) tall and just under 6 inches (~14 cm) wide. The step (part you would plant your feet) seem to extend approx. 1/4 inch beyond the sides of the blade.

Looking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovelLooking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovel

As you can see, one side of the shovel blade is serrated. I couldn't find much on that either but there is a clear indent line running alongside the serration, which is about 5 inches (13 cm) long)

The handle seems typical and has no markings to indicate any customization or personal engravings. It is in good conition though and has quite the assortment of nicks and scratches itself. It has a clear pommel (if you can call it that) and each side below the pommel are indented for about 4 inches (10 cm), perhaps for gripping.

Beyond this, I don't really have any additional information or insight into what I now own other than it arrived from the Czech Republic, which still says nothing. If you have any additional image request I would be happy to oblige. Additionally, If there are places their could be markings that I haven't cleaned thoroughly enough, please let me know.

Finally, are there any recommended ways to clean any remaining grease/residue off of the shovel? I am pretty content with the extent I have cleaned it to this point, but what are the recommended ways to clean it further? I have not used any type of cleaning product or even water on it so far, I have only used clothe and assorted tools to clear the grease off. I don't have any plans to clean it anymore as of right now but what are the preferred ways for doing so?

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Looking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovel
    P
    Many

Hello,
    I'm collecting all sorts of entrenching tools and also have some of these from the same seller.
    Till now they are still misterious and I could not find any informations.
    They appeared in a romanian depot together with a lot of other types (russian, austrian, france, ec ec).
    As far as I know the deopt was from russian army, but this shovel is not russian of course.
    I visited the seller about 2 years ago in Czech Repubilc. He isn't sure about the origin too.
    Also very strange that the wooden shaft wasn't fixed at about 9 of 10 (some of them were used in this configuration!).
    I had to look few minutes till I found some with shaft rivets.

So at the moment I'm not a great help. Hope to find out more some day...

Best regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovel  

Thanks for the response, hopefully we will discover the origins of this shovel someday. Appreciate your input

Lightbulb

This thread made me to do more research on it and the efforts were rewarded.

Their sort of unfinished condition suggest that these shovels haven't seen a lot of travel.
    So my first suspiciton was right, they are from Romania!
    When I bought them I talked to the seller and he said they are not romanian for sure.
    This brought me on a wrong track and my research ended at some point back then.
    Now after some correspondence with a romanian collector suddenly everything was clear to me.

Before WW1 in the 1900s-1910s Romania bought entrenching tools from austrian factory Vogel & Noot in Wartberg.
    These are still to find on romanian markets sometimes.
    The model here in the thread is simply a romanian copy of the austrian type.
    When I compared both it was absolutely clear and I wonder why I didn't came on that point of view earlier.
    Manufacturing period is still not fully solved. Towards end of WW1 would be obvious.
    My colleague from Romania told me they were very hard to find in the past (before depot find).

Best regards,
    Austrian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovel   Looking for identification/clarity on potential WWI-era shovel  

Thanks for the follow up and I'm glad to know what I got!