Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M16 BF64 with a surprise.

Article about: One of the things that I love most about Imperial German steel helmets is that they always seem to offer up some interesting little extra detail that makes them all so unique. And this steel

Default M16 BF64 with a surprise.

One of the things that I love most about Imperial German steel helmets is that they always seem to offer up some interesting little extra detail that makes them all so unique. And this steel banded M16 manufactured by F.C. Bellinger, Fulda (maker of
    size 62/64 shells), is no exception. This was the first helmet that I purchased 20 years ago before taking a hiatus from the hobby for about 15 years so it has an extra special place in my collection as it was my first one.

This helmet is in good shape retaining about 98% of its original feldgrau paint. In fact the guy with the spray gun must have had a long lunch of Bavarian beer and sausage as the paint runs will attest to his somewhat liberal application which just adds to the character. All three chrome-tanned pads remain with one appearing to have a post war (I think?) repair at some stage. The pads are still filled with horse hair. The M17 liner band is stamped “FCB 64” and with the number “18”. I am not
    sure what the 18 refers too but will update the thread when I find out. The size 64 is also stamped in the rear skirt.

And now the “surprise”. Having owned the helmet for 20 years it was only while photographing it in the early morning sun yesterday that I noticed it had been signed in a cursive script on the lower right hand side of the shell. Done in pencil I have no idea what it says but perhaps the original soldier signature in an odd place? And now a cautionary tale. The shell suffered a little bit of rust damage along one side on the lower edge. Completely my fault for storing in a location that was obviously too varied in temperature and humidity. I’ve since treated the area with Renaissance Wax and continue to monitor it periodically however so far the rust has been stopped.

Hope you like it!
    Andy

M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.M16 BF64 with a surprise.
    Last edited by AndyM35; 07-26-2020 at 03:04 AM. Reason: The ‘usual’ typo!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 BF64 with a surprise.
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

You hit a home run for your first helmet! And nice to see more surprises.

Love that drippy paint
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Typical BF paint runs, often seen on the helmets they produced. Occasionally the "BF" is reverse stamped "FB". Reflected or bright sunlight often reveals previously unseen detail, that why I photograph each helmet both indoors and outdoors to examine them thoroughly.

It's an very nice helmet Andy, especially for a first. It's always cool finding new details.

John

A real beauty.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

What a great looking helmet,I love the paint runs.
    Really nice photos certainly seem to do it justice.

Love it when new things are found like this. I have had the same kind of things happen and it makes the item one of your favorites. Can you make out all of the letters?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Marty, I actually can’t make out much to be honest. If I was to guess I would say something like H.R...oullit?
    Andy