Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.

Article about: I was looking for a new M16/M18 helmet to add to my collection, something with decals. So my first obvious choice would be to go for a reichwehr helmet, So I found this helmet on eBay and I

Default M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.

I was looking for a new M16/M18 helmet to add to my collection, something with decals. So my first obvious choice would be to go for a reichwehr helmet, So I found this helmet on eBay and I think it looks a bit odd, but its sold by a huge auction firm located in the UK. First thing I noticed was the shell looked a bit crude and the stamp mark looked a bit wrong centered, aswell as the newspaper bit looking a bit to new. I was wondering if you share my opinion on this item.

M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Reichswehr/weimar republic helmet on ebay. Something feels off about the helmet.
    P
    Many

Not a fan! It appears to be a failed attempt at transforming a plain M16 into a Guard Division helmet by adding a Hohenzollernwappen to the shell, but the Guard shields were only black and white and always placed over the wearer's left ear. Not a fan of the liner either, or the paint for that matter. Guard helmets are pretty rare, and this one appears to be a poor fake. I would take a wide birth around this helmet. If you are looking for an M16 or and M18 with a decal, i would suggest a single decal third reich reissue, they are around and not that expensive. Double decal transitionals are also available but a bit more pricey. Good luck and good hunting. Jim G.

There is so much wrong with this shell that I doubt it is even an ordinary original. The shape doesn’t look quite right. One vent lug is longer than the other. The rear pin looks a little too fat while the front liner pins look a little too large. One of the liner pad tongues even looks shorter than the other in the last photo. Manufacturers stamp font is a horribly botched job. I could go one but will stop there.

A horrible fake, very poor photos and a ‘supposed’ auction house to run away from as fast as possible. Original examples of these types of helmets are rare and go for thousands of dollars when they do surface. As Jim said, a TR single decal or early DD, would be the way to go if you want a decaled helmet that retains the M16 shaped shell.

Personally, I’d be spending my money on a copy of Ludwig Baer’s book THe History of the German Steel Helmet 1916-1945 and a copy of Stahlschutzhelme by Oliver Lock. You’ll find a lot of good information and see a lot of original examples in both books. The search function at the top right of this page is also a great way of finding information about the topics for which you are seeking answers.

Remember, it’s not a race to the finish line - the journey there is the best bit!
    Andy

I knew something seemed off about this piece, a bit shocking its being sold as a genuine piece by a pretty reputable company. I also use my genuine shells to compare with other helmets on the internet, just in the mean time while I am waiting for several books about helmets that are ariving next week, very exciting. I will look into buying some TR helmets, I know there is a couple good looking ones at ratisbons with decals and the whole kit.

Quote by Kaikun2001 View Post
    I knew something seemed off about this piece, a bit shocking its being sold as a genuine piece by a pretty reputable company. I also use my genuine shells to compare with other helmets on the internet, just in the mean time while I am waiting for several books about helmets that are ariving next week, very exciting. I will look into buying some TR helmets, I know there is a couple good looking ones at ratisbons with decals and the whole kit.
    Auction houses don’t always have helmet experts to appraise their helmets before putting them up for sale and not many would have seen a Reichswher/Weimar helmet for that matter. See the following link for an example of an original as posted by Jim (helmet2id). M16 Reichswehr Helmet

Good to have original examples for comparison and to get a feel for what a genuine helmet might looks like with regards to wear, patina etc. Just keep in mind that there were at least 13 manufacturers of Imperial steel helmets and with this, slight variations in shell shape, paint colour, liner pins, vent lugs etc.

TR helmets are another minefield all of their own. My suggestion would be to continue to post anything you consider for purchase here first so that forum members can assess for originality.

Looking forward to seeing what you offer up in the way of potential TR lids!
    Andy