Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.

Article about: So I bought this M16 Battle of the somme Relic that was found in a barn france(authulie). The helmet is really solid expect for a small crack or dent/battle damage on the right side of the s

MAP
    ?

Quote by Kaikun2001 View Post
    Sadly no heating number in the dome,the surface rust as taken over the dome. Maybe it could be seen if you tried removing the rust. But since it looks good as it is I wont try to touch the dome. Do you think the shrapnel damage will effect the collectability in a postive light or negative?

Kai
    In this condition (which is good), I don't think it impacts it either way.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.
    P
    Many

Sadly no heating number in the dome,the surface rust as taken over the dome. Maybe it could be seen if you tried removing the rust. But since it looks good as it is I wont try to touch the dome. Do you think the shrapnel damage will effect the collectability in a postive light or negative?

Kai
    I guess it depends on the collector with regards to collocability.

Some like helmets in new, almost un-used condition, whereas others (myself included) love to see these little character traits that tell us a little bit about the helmets history.

Personally, I find the damage an interesting bit of history and it would not put me off purchasing a helmet in that condition.

Andy

I guess its more of a taste thing then. Also when I bought the helmet it was listed as relic condition, As I have many M16 in relic condition. I would actually rate this far above relic condition in my opinion.

Best regards Kai

It has been loved by someone as the outside looks clean and free from rust. The damage tells its own story. If all your other shells are rusty then this is ok.

I sold off most of the rusty shells and kept the solid helmets, such as the finish winterwar M16 reissue and my Austrian M17(homeguard helmet) and some other M17’s.I kept one of the relics examples since it was my first M16 helmet in my collection.

Cheers Kai

This M16(M17) has a matte finish, I read something that they issued matt finishes early in the war. Would you say that mine is a matte finish?

Cheers kai

M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.
    M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.  

WW1 German Steel helmets were originally painted in a feldgrau colour which was matte and not gloss and there was a lot of variation in the shades of feldgrau between the various manufacturers. Over the last 100 + years, the majority of these helmets have been handled multiple times and this added with the patina that comes with age has made them appear more shiny than they would have when originally painted.

In my opinion, your example looks more like a typical feldgrau which as been handled multiple times.

Kaikun, if you are really interested in collecting Imperial German steel helmets, then I would seriously recommend this recently published work by Oliver Lock. It’s a great book with lots of great photos and information.

Thank you! Andy for the Swift reply, I will look into this book, as I am sure there is alot to learn from. I was at first worried about the ”gloss” or the shine that came with the helmet, as I am sure that the shine would give away their position if worn. Maybe there is a slight chance that oil was applied to stop corotion? Post war, since it looks almost little bit dark green. M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.

Best regards Kai

Thank you! Andy for the Swift reply, I will look into this book, as I am sure there is alot to learn from. I was at first worried about the ”gloss” or the shine that came with the helmet, as I am sure that the shine would give away their position if worn. Maybe there is a slight chance that oil was applied to stop corotion? Post war, since it looks almost little bit dark green. M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.

Best regards Kai
    As time goes by patina can also darken things. Over the years well meaning collectors have been known to ad oil, bees wax and all manner of other things to try to preserve helmet while unwittingly damaging them. Hard to tell from the photos but yours does look well handled and perhaps someone has given it a good clean or polish with a cloth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast