Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.

Article about: So I bought this M16 Battle of the somme Relic that was found in a barn france(authulie). The helmet is really solid expect for a small crack or dent/battle damage on the right side of the s

Thank you for the information, is sunflower oil okay?, I am assuming that patrolium based oils caused pitting to Paint and decals when applied. I was thinking to just tap it with sunflower oil on the outside.but based on what I found on the internet this does more damage to the helmet?. Also I found the heatning number after I carefully cleaned the rust with a cloth.I think it says B1606 or something like that.

M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.
    M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.
    P
    Many

Removal of rust using destilled water and acid
    M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.   M17 Battle of the somme Relic Barnfind, Does it look like a good shell, also is the green color original.  

Hi Kaikun,

I think what you can see in the inner dome is Bi which stands for the rolling mill Oberschlesien,Bismarckhutte. This would match with it being an Si manufactured shell.

Aside from wiping with a cloth as you have, I would leave the helmet as is and not apply any substance. It has lasted well over the last 100 years or so. I would leave it in a spot out of direct sunlight where the temperature is stable and just enjoy it.

Andy

I would not worry too much about the finish of this helmet, certainly the shine was not original but it is rust free which is always good. A nice lid to display.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3