Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

In memoriam, Who is this german (Bavarian) WW1 officer??

Article about: Hi everyone, I just got this 'In memoriam' of a bavarian officer who got KIA in 1914. I think he had the rank of an Lieutenant-General. The photo on the top is of an older man. I think that

Default In memoriam, Who is this german (Bavarian) WW1 officer??

Hi everyone,

I just got this 'In memoriam' of a bavarian officer who got KIA in 1914. I think he had the rank of an Lieutenant-General.

The photo on the top is of an older man. I think that this was his last official photograph.

The bottom photo is a younger man - I think the same one. It says:

Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit i. Neu-Ulm - 1e Fuss Art-Regt - alles komt aus dem Geschutz - Tod & Blitz - Doner Hagel

Translates in:

In memory of my service in Neu-Ulm - 1e Foot artillery Regiment - All comes from the guns - death & lightning - thunder and hail

I think this was his first time in the army. Maybe reserve officer later on. But if he really was a Lieutenant-General he could be a carrier soldier.

The card in the centre of the piece is a note from a Paula Schmitt. I think it could be his widow. But I can't read her handwriting. Maybe one of you can. That would be a great help.

The ribbon says: Dem tapferen Krieger von 1914."To the brave warrior of 1914"

So who could help me with finishing this puzzel?

I couldn't find him on the casualty list in German records. Of course I looked only at the casualties under artillery Regiments. Unlikely Schmitt was as trained artillery officer detached to the infantry or train. But who knows.

Cheers Paul
    Last edited by Irish1965; 08-17-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Hello Paul,

I am the first to admit that deciphering spidery German handwriting is not my strong point! However, presumably the Major in the top photograph is Major Karl Schmitt, commanding I./1. bay. Fußartillerie-Regiment in Neu-Ulm at mobilisation in 1914. Major Schmitt was killed in action on 24 August 1914 at Lamath by artillery fire. The younger man was probably a subordinate of the major as the card commemorates his service in peacetime with the I./1. bay. Fußartillerie-Regiment.

Regards
    Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I'm still convinced that the younger man is the same person as Major Karl Schmitt. I see the same characteristics in the face. Also the way he wears his hair and moustache looks more end of the 19th century. Also the card is signed by Paula Schmitt, his widow. I cannot think of a reason to put a unnamed person in this very personal shrine of the "Memento Mori" that was put without any doubt in the family livingroom.

Cheers Paul